Drum re-wrap project...a little different

numa_cruiser

Drum re-wrap project...Pics of Finished Kit

Just started playing with a new band and do not want to gig or even move my Starclassics so I have been looking for a new kit. Thought about the new Silverstar line from Tama but was discouraged by the 1.6mm hoops. They are really thin, like razors. I found a four piece Superstar on craigslist for $350 including hardware and having played these before, jumped all over it. They've been gigged before though so the wrap's got to go. (plus, bronze mist metallic has to be the worst finish tama ever came out with...looks like an old man's pickup truck)

Progress so far inludes stripping off the wrap and searching high and low for original ideas for re-wrap. I've recently seen some really cool projects using really thin plate steel that has been allowed to weather and corrode. You can get some crazy figuring and designs, big blue and black veins, white streaks etc depending on how it's ditressed. A clear gloss over top seals in the rust etc and I've seen it be strong enough to use as a booth floor at a trade show.

I haven't comitted to it yet, am I crazy to do this to an all birch kit? The photo of the snare is a mock up to see what it would look like against the chrome hardware. I also like the way the inside of the wrap looks though I may try to reproduce that effect.

Attachments

• DSC00096.jpg
    DSC00096.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 3,575
  • DSC00116.jpg
    DSC00116.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 3,531
  • DSC00131.jpg
    DSC00131.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 3,525
  • DSC00149.jpg
    DSC00149.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 3,438
Last edited:
Kind of sucks that they notched the shell down the length only so they could bury the start of the wrap to get a clean lap. My other Superstars are laquer and certainly don't have a notch. If it weren't for that I'd just refinish the wood, it's great looking otherwise.

I like the weathered steel wrap idea.
Another thing you can try w/the steel wrap is to take a torch and melt wax into the surface. I did some shelving for someone years ago like this and the effect is quite nice.

Just started playing with a new band and do not want to gig or even move my Starclassics so I have been looking for a new kit. Thought about the new Silverstar line from Tama but was discouraged by the 1.6mm hoops. They are really thin, like razors. I found a four piece Superstar on craigslist for $350 including hardware and having played these before, jumped all over it. They've been gigged before though so the wrap's got to go. (plus, bronze mist metallic has to be the worst finish tama ever came out with...looks like an old man's pickup truck)

Progress so far inludes stripping off the wrap and searching high and low for original ideas for re-wrap. I've recently seen some really cool projects using really thin plate steel that has been allowed to weather and corrode. You can get some crazy figuring and designs, big blue and black veins, white streaks etc depending on how it's ditressed. A clear gloss over top seals in the rust etc and I've seen it be strong enough to use as a booth floor at a trade show.

I haven't comitted to it yet, am I crazy to do this to an all birch kit? The photo of the snare is a mock up to see what it would look like against the chrome hardware. I also like the way the inside of the wrap looks though I may try to reproduce that effect.

I like it a lot, more so the wear on the inner of the metal. We're actually working on something similar with aged copper hoops and lugs for a snare. good luck with the project and keep us updated.

what does this effect look like?

The finish color will vary depending on how you rub-in the wax, it's not a consistant color. It's kind of a blackish blueish finish - definite unfinished metal look though. Just heat the metal, melt the wax and rub it in to the look you like.

adding even a thin layer of steel is going to really up the weight of the drums. I have a 70's solid white vistalite wrapped in steel. I personally love them, there tank heavy and rusty too!.

adding even a thin layer of steel is going to really up the weight of the drums. I have a 70's solid white vistalite wrapped in steel. I personally love them, there tank heavy and rusty too!.

I'll just have to get a roadie to carry them for me then. Pics would be great if you could.

I sanded and stained the insides of the shells today. Can't wait to see how the colour comes out when it's dry. Should look a little like the outside colour of another project I finished last year shown below. I like the look of a darker interior and I've also heard putting a clear coat inside can brighten the sound a bit. Any thoughts on gloss or satin? Would gloss reflect/affect the sound more? Again...is this a bad idea? Pics to follow, any comments/suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• DSC03884.JPG
    DSC03884.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 3,311
I sanded and stained the insides of the shells today. Can't wait to see how the colour comes out when it's dry. Should look a little like the outside colour of another project I finished last year shown below. I like the look of a darker interior and I've also heard putting a clear coat inside can brighten the sound a bit. Any thoughts on gloss or satin? Would gloss reflect/affect the sound more? Again...is this a bad idea? Pics to follow, any comments/suggestions welcome.

nice little drum...

re. the gloss or matte finish affecting the sound, inside the drum it might. Gloss is usually a harder finish than a matte finish - something to do with more crystals in the mix to get the gloss, ei, think of gloss and matte floor finishes. Also the thickness of either might have an effect.

He's terrible at that. He'll post a pic when he buys a new snare but has yet to post a pic of his whole kit as requested...

WOAH WOAH! there are pics in your gear buried somewhere lol. Ok..fine took these today It's really hard to get a decent angle in my jam spot. Also yes the 12 is set up weird, hard to position 2 toms on a 28.

not to threadjack quick Specs 70's Steel Wrapped vistas 22x14, 13x9,12x9. Custom maple 28x16, 18x18, 14x12. Snares all steel 14x10 70's ludwig, 12x5 gretsch full range, 10x5 sonor SE side man. Steel-vista 16x16 not pictured.

Attachments

• chromedestroyer1.JPG
    chromedestroyer1.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 3,307
  • chromedestroyer.JPG
    chromedestroyer.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 3,285
WOAH WOAH! there are pics in your gear buried somewhere lol. Ok..fine took these today It's really hard to get a decent angle in my jam spot. Also yes the 12 is set up weird, hard to position 2 toms on a 28.

not to threadjack quick Specs 70's Steel Wrapped vistas 22x14, 13x9,12x9. Custom maple 28x16, 18x18, 14x12. Snares all steel 14x10 70's ludwig, 12x5 gretsch full range, 10x5 sonor SE side man. Steel-vista 16x16 not pictured.

It's not at all threadjacking if you're being harassed to post. Thanks so much for the pics!

Not crazy about the finish, but I love the home decor, the old spot light and the baby trees on the wall.

Thanks Uniongoon, those are a couple of non-drum related projects I've also put together/made. I hope to change your opinion of the finished product. More progress photos tomorrow.

Some developments: Stained and laquered the insides of the shell with a mixture of cherry and american walnut minwax product and a satin clearcoat polyurethane spray finish. I took the shells to work to use the spray booth to minimize dust content. I've been rethinking the steel wrap. I'm afraid of what it will do to the sound and be irreversable.
So, I'm looking for more ideas for alternatives to buying actual drum wrap as I don't want to spend $350. I'm willing to spend up to $150 though. I like the idea of a sparkle wrap but am open to any other suggestions. Please post your ideas.

Attachments

• DSC00298.jpg
    DSC00298.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 3,192
  • DSC00302.jpg
    DSC00302.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 3,193
  • DSC00303.jpg
    DSC00303.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 3,216
  • DSC00304.jpg
    DSC00304.jpg