Drum Rack

Wopsey

Okay well, I've recently come into a little bit of extra cash, and am interested in putting it towards some new drum stuff.

I've considered picking up new cymbals, or perhaps seeing if I can get my local music shop to order me a custom made tom or two. The only concern I have with this, is hardware. I find it becoming increasingly hard to organize my drum kit and don't have the neccesary room to fit all my cymbal stands. If I were to get another tom, I'd have nowhere to put it.

As such I've really been wanting to pick up a Drum Rack. I feel it will be easier to organize and significantly easier to add/remove any future cymbals/toms I may decide to pick up.

I've found a Dixon Drum Rack with 5 Memory Locks, 2 Boom Arm Stands and a Double Tom Mount Arm for $220 on craigslist.

Sorry, I know the picture is kind of small, just trying to give you an idea of what it looks like.

Currently my set isn't big enough to really use the rack to its fullest potential, but I really don't want to slowly build my kit, and then one day have to try and sell off all the Cymbal Stands I have because I finally decide to buy a rack.

I'd also like to point out that I can get roughly $170 for my current Cymbal Stands and will have to invest about $100 more into extra hardware (Cymbal Mounts, Boom Arms, ect.).

I figure that overall, this will cost me about $200 (after selling the old cymbal stands, purchasing extra hardware for the drum rack) and will allow me to add new cymbals/toms with ease whenver I decide to.

Looking for someone with experience with as to why I should/shouldn't pick this up, thanks.

omcd

Racks are great. I have a Gibraltar rack and would have way to many stands without it. Just buy some multi clamps and use the top part of your boom stands. These are old pictures and I now have four more cymbals and use multi clamps and cymbal stackers. Dont know about that rack in your picture. See if you can buy a Gibraltar rack, very sturdy, holds a lot of weight and lots of options to add on and expand.

Attachments

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
The price sounds decent but are you able to buy additional clamps? I use a Pearl rack and all of the parts are readily available should I need more.

omcd

The price sounds decent but are you able to buy additional clamps? I use a Pearl rack and all of the parts are readily available should I need more.
I agree, I have not seen any Dixon racks before and I think Pearl or Gibraltar would be a lot better for you especially if you want to add on more clamps etc.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Looks like it's using the same size tubing as a Gibraltar rack, in which case any Gibraltar clamp would probably do, but that's a guess. I agree, if you're interested, find out if other manufacturer's clamps will work on it.

Wopsey

I went in and talked to the guy at my local Long and Mcquade. He informed me that Gibralter bought Dixon about 3 years ago (or something to that affect) and they no longer make these racks. He informed me that all Gibralter parts WILL work with it, and the clamps are about $20 each at L&M.

H

Hitman

I'd also like to point out that I can get roughly $170 for my current Cymbal Stands and will have to invest about $100 more into extra hardware (Cymbal Mounts, Boom Arms, ect.).
I don't know what your drumming situation is (do you gig a lot etc...), but in my experience I've kept all of my stands and I use the boom arms off my stands on my rack. Sometimes I get gigs where I can't take my rack, the stage is too small, a rack doesn't fit the vibe, whatever the case, It's always nice to be able to setup a small four piece if that is what the gig requires.

Just my 2 cents.
G