drum notation (noob question)

iainp999

Hi All,

I'm trying to learn drum notation, and I keep seeing "R" and "L" stick notation above some notes, and was wondering how it was meant to be played? (I have tried a search and couldn't find the answer - maybe I am just using the wrong search terms).

As an example :-

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/tekken1/drums_Page_1.jpg

How is the "R" and "L" above a single eighth note meant to be played? Does it simply mean that the note can be played with either the left or right hand?

Thanks,
Iain

jeffwj

Platinum Member
The example that you listed has two sticking options. You can practice the exercise using either the top or bottom sticking. The top sticking is based on more of a right hand lead and the bottom is based on LH lead.

Jeff

S

SickRick

lain: very good question!

If there is only one line above notes that says something like "R L R R" of course it means that you have to use the hand that's indicated. In this case Right - Left - Right - Right.

However, if there are two lines (like in your example) it can mean two things:

1.: It could mean that you can choose to play the upper line or the lower line. This is what's happening in your example. Usually this is used in exercises that you start with either the left or the right hand or for right-handed and left-handed drummers (rightys read the upper line, leftys read the lower line).

2.: It could also mean that you play both hands at the same time. In that case there are usually two notes in the staff. Since there is always only one note in the staff in your example this doesn't apply to it.

I hope this was helpfull.

donv

Silver Member
Hi All,

I'm trying to learn drum notation, and I keep seeing "R" and "L" stick notation above some notes, and was wondering how it was meant to be played? (I have tried a search and couldn't find the answer - maybe I am just using the wrong search terms).

As an example :-

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/tekken1/drums_Page_1.jpg

How is the "R" and "L" above a single eighth note meant to be played? Does it simply mean that the note can be played with either the left or right hand?

Thanks,
Iain
The way I learned this was since the exercises have repeat signs, the 2 dots at the beginning and the 2 dots at the end, you play the top line, then the second line. As was already said, it changes the sticking lead from R to L and vice versa.

iainp999

Hi donv,

Thanks. I thought I would probably do that anyway, as I'm suffering from the seemingly common "weak left hand" problem!

Cheers,
Iain