Drum n Base Hoop Potector

I have. I've tried them on a variety of bass drums in my current stable with mostly disappointing results.

I love the fold over hoop design. That way, three sides of the hoop get protected – the two where the pedal clamp grabs to and the front edge of the hoop. The material is ever-so-slightly squishy, so that the pedal clamp can really get a good grab. I bought a bunch of them to try out on different bass drum hoops. And…they don’t stick very well at all to any of the hoops that I have, regardless of the hoop composition.

I put the first one on a 20” Tempus fiberglass bass drum hoop. I even cleaned the area prior to installation of the protector with rubbing alcohol and it just doesn’t stick.

I had the same problem trying them on a 20” and a 22” wood hoops that has been painted and have inlay strips. Cleaned it per the instructions and the same thing happened. While a pedal is attached, it's fine, but quite literally the hoop protectors just lift off the hoop while it’s in its case. It appears that the adhesive they use isn’t very strong, so the protector didn’t stick to the hoops very well. It constantly comes off. It’s maddening. I would hesitate recommending them.

The problem is that I bought 6 of them right out of the gate before I actually had any working experiences with them. I've still got 3 of them and I have no idea what I'm gonna do with them. They were relatively cheap, so if they get thrown away, no big financial loss.

If they figured out the adhesive issue, I would unquestionably give them a two-thumbs up rating. Right now, the best I could say based on my experience would be "proceed with caution and prepare to be disappointed".

I use the Tama version and after a couple years the adhesive gets soft. With a bit of cleaning it holds again. And it does protect from serious clamp rash, but there is indentations in my hoop.
1592232819276.png

I've had really good luck with the metal Pearl protector. Variety of hoops and little to no rash with constant gigging.

I have. I've tried them on a variety of bass drums in my current stable with mostly disappointing results.

I love the fold over hoop design. That way, three sides of the hoop get protected – the two where the pedal clamp grabs to and the front edge of the hoop. The material is ever-so-slightly squishy, so that the pedal clamp can really get a good grab. I bought a bunch of them to try out on different bass drum hoops. And…they don’t stick very well at all to any of the hoops that I have, regardless of the hoop composition.

I put the first one on a 20” Tempus fiberglass bass drum hoop. I even cleaned the area prior to installation of the protector with rubbing alcohol and it just doesn’t stick.

I had the same problem trying them on a 20” and a 22” wood hoops that has been painted and have inlay strips. Cleaned it per the instructions and the same thing happened. While a pedal is attached, it's fine, but quite literally the hoop protectors just lift off the hoop while it’s in its case. It appears that the adhesive they use isn’t very strong, so the protector didn’t stick to the hoops very well. It constantly comes off. It’s maddening. I would hesitate recommending them.

The problem is that I bought 6 of them right out of the gate before I actually had any working experiences with them. I've still got 3 of them and I have no idea what I'm gonna do with them. They were relatively cheap, so if they get thrown away, no big financial loss.

If they figured out the adhesive issue, I would unquestionably give them a two-thumbs up rating. Right now, the best I could say based on my experience would be "proceed with caution and prepare to be disappointed".
What interests me in these protectors is indeed the 3 sided protection. I currently have Gibraltar (I think) protectors - 1 on top and 1 on the bottom of the hoop - and while they adhere well, and are durable, they offer no protection whatsoever to the front edge of the hoop.

Aside from the adhesive issue, do you believe they are durable, and do they provide enough surface area to protect from a pedal clamp? I read somewhere where someone said they're too small. And, is the squishiness an issue at all?

I use 3M spray adhesive on all kinds of things, including for adhering cabinet carpet to amp racks I've built. I even used it on Remo Falam Slam patches when I move them around on bass drum heads, and the #M stuff works great. You might want to try it.

I have them on two bass drums. I didn't experience any adhesion problems, and they're holding up fine. I have heard that they may eventually crack at the fold, but I haven't experienced this firsthand.

Another option is leather. I just received a 3-pack from Kenner. Definitely high quality for not much more money.

What interests me in these protectors is indeed the 3 sided protection. I currently have Gibraltar (I think) protectors - 1 on top and 1 on the bottom of the hoop - and while they adhere well, and are durable, they offer no protection whatsoever to the front edge of the hoop.

Aside from the adhesive issue, do you believe they are durable, and do they provide enough surface area to protect from a pedal clamp? I read somewhere where someone said they're too small. And, is the squishiness an issue at all?

I use 3M spray adhesive on all kinds of things, including for adhering cabinet carpet to amp racks I've built. I even used it on Remo Falam Slam patches when I move them around on bass drum heads, and the #M stuff works great. You might want to try it.

I would say that they are very durable. I currently have two gigging kits, each of them outfitted with the Drum N Bass hoop protectors for a couple of years now. Both kits have seen a minimum of two hundred of gigs each. They are still in remarkably good shape. (To be transparent, I was using the same Pearl Eliminator pedal as my primary pedal that whole time and have only recently switched to another pedal.) The dang protectors just peel away from the hoop in the case during the week. Frustrating.

Oh...the squishiness...I use that word to illustrate that it has a little bit of give to it, so the pedal clamp can bite "into" it a bit. But it doesn't appear to be wearing down the protector at all because the next weekend when I pull either bass drum out of the case, it looks virtually unused.

I'm hesitant to use an additional glue on the hoop thingees. But maybe I should look into it.

I have them on two bass drums. I didn't experience any adhesion problems, and they're holding up fine. I have heard that they may eventually crack at the fold, but I haven't experienced this firsthand.

Another option is leather. I just received a 3-pack from Kenner. Definitely high quality for not much more money.

Well see, this just chaps my hide. (Comment exists solely over my level of frustration with them, yet others experience none of the issues I do.)

Could I trouble you for a bit of information to your situation? Like what kind of hoops you are using? Mine are GMS hoops, both with inlays, and both are painted. I wonder if it’s the dang paint on my hoops that's causing the issue.

I use the Tama version and after a couple years the adhesive gets soft. With a bit of cleaning it holds again. And it does protect from serious clamp rash, but there is indentations in my hoop.
View attachment 93434
I already have this type on top and bottom, but they don't offer protection for the front edge.

I use something completely different, but I was thinking if you’re so concerned about damage to the bass drum hoops, why not just get black metal hoops and use those? They’re only about $20 each for a 22” and can take all kinds of abuse. I’m currently debating this for my DW kit as I like to transport case-less too.

I've had really good luck with the metal Pearl protector. Variety of hoops and little to no rash with constant gigging.
If I recall, the Pearl metal ones need to be drilled and attached to the hoop, or are you talking about something else?

I use something completely different, but I was thinking if you’re so concerned about damage to the bass drum hoops, why not just get black metal hoops and use those? They’re only about $20 each for a 22” and can take all kinds of abuse. I’m currently debating this for my DW kit as I like to transport case-less too.
Care to share the secret thing you're using? :)

I have one like that from a member here years ago. Neoprene like a skin diving suit but thinner. It has not moved or worn since day one. For 7$ that is a steal

Care to share the secret thing you're using? :)
I go get grip tape from the local Home Depot, and just apply small strip on both sides of the hoop where the pedal connects. I’m pretty careful when I attach the pedal, so the edge of the hoop right there is bare. My bass isn’t at an extreme angle so the clamp has no problem staying with the hoop and therefore I don’t have to use extreme force to connect it to the bass drum. That’s all I do and I’ve never had hoop damage.

I'm sure they would never pick a product that everyone liked so why bother. I'll bet there are also those that use nothing.

I'm sure they would never pick a product that everyone liked so why bother. I'll bet there are also those that use nothing.
I can use nothing. But I found out one time I played so hard the bass drum hit literally pushed the bass drum off the pedal. So the grip tape actually keeps the pedal connected to the hoop!

Back