Drum n Base Hoop Potector

MrLeadFoot

Silver Member
I've NEVER, EVER had a problem with a pedal staying put on a bass drum. In fact, I don't even clamp my pedal to my hoop anymore. I just slide it onto the hoop, and it will stay there through a 4-set gig, no problem. I've been gigging in working bands since I was very young in the 70s, so that should give you an indication of the different genres I've played over the years, so it's not like I just play elevator music, either. In fact, I no longer even have wingnuts or retaining nuts on my pedal clamp so there's no way to even fasten it, because there is no need to.

I'm more concerned with the damage to a hoop that inevitably occurs over time, especially when you slide a pedal on and off the hoop when setting up and breaking down for gigs. I have tried all kinds of protection things over the years, and most only protect the horizontal surfaces of the hoop. But, this Drum n Base thing seems to address the front edge of the hoop, too, which, to me, is welcome change to all other designs. Hence my questions about it.

David Hunter

Could I trouble you for a bit of information to your situation? Like what kind of hoops you are using? Mine are GMS hoops, both with inlays, and both are painted. I wonder if it’s the dang paint on my hoops that's causing the issue.
I was wondering the same thing as I read your post, thinking that it could possibly the finish on your hoops. Mine are used on two Sonor Prolite hoops, hi-gloss, very smooth. Fingerprint magnets as well, but I digress. Are your GMS hoops a matte/satin finish, perhaps?

Isn't the leather too thick used that way?
They're about the same thickness as the rubber Drum-n-Base protectors - maybe 1/16". I haven't applied the three I just received yet, but I did have a N&C Horizon kit for a minute that had one installed, and it worked great. It also looked kind of classy.

MrLeadFoot

Silver Member
They're about the same thickness as the rubber Drum-n-Base protectors - maybe 1/16". I haven't applied the three I just received yet, but I did have a N&C Horizon kit for a minute that had one installed, and it worked great. It also looked kind of classy.
Dang it! Wouldn't you know it, I just finished ordering the Drum n Base one, based on your contribution to this thread. If I had waited 30 seconds longer, I would've seen your reply, and ordered the leather one. Oh well, we'll see how this works out.

This will be going my laquered-finish Mapex Saturn, so I feel pretty good about it sticking. If it doesn't, I will use 3M spray adhesive.

Last edited:

Blisco

If I recall, the Pearl metal ones need to be drilled and attached to the hoop, or are you talking about something else?
I just pinch it on. Works well that way. No real scratches either. Yes, it can slide off but rarely does. The drum comes out of the case ready to clamp the pedal to.

mrfingers

I use a rectangle about 6” sq. of white, soft Plastic cut from a detergent container. Two long scores 1/2” apart at the center, fold it and make perpendicular slice on each long side Down to the scores to accommodate the curve of the hoop. Slide onto the hoop or into the pedal clamp. These last forever.

vyacheslav

Another good trick:

Use a piece of a mouse pad. It's thick enough to prevent damage, but thin enough for the pedal to still clamp on. The rubber "backing" that normally goes against the desk or table also helps it grip the hoop too. You can get a cheap mouse pad for around $3, and you can outfit about 10 bass drum with it!

MrLeadFoot

Silver Member
I use a rectangle about 6” sq. of white, soft Plastic cut from a detergent container. Two long scores 1/2” apart at the center, fold it and make perpendicular slice on each long side Down to the scores to accommodate the curve of the hoop. Slide onto the hoop or into the pedal clamp. These last forever.
I'm trying to visualize the "perpendicular slices". Do you have a pic somewhere?

MrLeadFoot

Silver Member
Are the parts of the protector that wrap around the edge of the hoop close enough together so that the parts of the pedal that normally contact the edge of the hoop now contact the metal wraparound pieces?
I just pinch it on. Works well that way. No real scratches either. Yes, it can slide off but rarely does. The drum comes out of the case ready to clamp the pedal to.

Yamaha Rider

Can't visualize that shape, sorry.
How do the parallel score marks fit a curved drum edge?