Drum miking

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Well, I find it insulting that somebody thinks that they can literally just throw a mic at a kit and it'll sound acceptable. That's just not true. Cheaper gear is far more effective than expensive gear if you know what you're doing and most of your videos are testament to that, Ben! I am referring to the kit mics. You get a great sound out of some fairly low-end mics.

It is easy to get a terrible sound out of good equipment. A lot of my degree was like that!

Yes it is. Please don't insult my, or anybody else's intelligence. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
You perceive i meant to insult you, yet you've been the first to draw insult. Is your opinion so infallible that i cannot disagree with it?

This website is generally useless, too many people convinced in their own abilities because they have a few more posts. I resign.

Cheers

M

mediocrefunkybeat

No, I'm convinced in my abilities because I've spent at least six years of my life in hard (and full-time) study of music and music technology - a large part of which consists of recording techniques, microphone placement and type as well as studio techniques, production, arrangement, composition and interpretation. It's got nothing to do with 'my opinion' and everything to do with fact.

Now if you're going to start posting things up that essentially say 'just throw a mic up, it doesn't matter where it goes - if it costs a lot, it'll be fine', then I've got to point it out to you that you're just wrong. Plain wrong. It is deeply insulting to start posting things like that up when you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and then cry foul when somebody that knows a lot more than you tells you you're talking rubbish.

There are people on this board that know a lot more than me but to start thinking that I'm just calling your bluff because I have a few more posts than you is total proverbial. I'm not saying I'm the fountain of knowledge - I'm just saying I clearly know more than you because what you've said is just incorrect.

Yes, Elvis' drum takes could well have been recorded with one mic but that one mic was placed very carefully with thought and years of knowledge as well as in a way that it was supported by a mix of other mics in the room, actually relying on the drum bleed from the rest of the session.

cobamnator

Well, I find it insulting that somebody thinks that they can literally just throw a mic at a kit and it'll sound acceptable.

Please don't insult my, or anybody else's intelligence. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

I don't think anyone's intelligence was being insulted, save perhaps for that of the writer of the post that provoked your ire, Duncan!

1+ x100000000000000

Arky

Platinum Member
C'mon boys, let's return to the 'dinner party' etiquette (and also to the topic) and behave like adults ;-) You're drummers, right? So in case anybody feels insulted just hit your drums and the steam will go away. In extreme cases just try blast beats ;-)