Drum Mics

oldmetalhead

What is considered a good set of microphones to use for drums? Years ago I used Shure SM57's and Sennheiser 421's. Also does anyone know what Dave Lombardo uses? He has these neat looking clip ons.

jdavis

I think it depends on what type of sound you're going for. Any examples of what songs/drummers/etc you like?

As for 57s and 421s, you're right - they're staples for a reason. (y)

cbphoto

Gold Member
For snare, try Beyerdynamic M201 or a Telefunken M80-SH.

Toms: Audio-Technica ATM230

Overheads: Sennheiser e914

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Bass Drum: Audio-Technica ATM25, Telefunken M-82, Heil PR-48, Sennheiser e 901
Snare: Audio-Technica ATM63HE, Telefunken M80-SH (brighter) or Telefunken M81-SH (flatter response)
Toms: Audio-Technica ATM25, Audio-Technica ATM230, Telefunken M81-SH
Overheads: Audio-Technica AE3000, Aston Origin
Hi-Hat: Audio-Technica AE5100, Audio-Technica ATM450

KamaK

Platinum Member
What is considered a good set of microphones to use for drums? Years ago I used Shure SM57's and Sennheiser 421's. Also does anyone know what Dave Lombardo uses? He has these neat looking clip ons.
For demos . -- EAD10
For fidelity demos and expositions, two high-SPL LDCs
For live - Almost any budget mic kit
For studio, 2 LDCs overhead, a ribbon room, and dynamics on the instruments.

makinao

Silver Member
SM57s and MD421s are still GREAT for close miking drums. If you have them, keep them. For overheads, a good small-diaphragm condenser will do. Mid-priced SM81s, NT5s, WA84s, AT4041s, C451s, will get the job done, and high-end stuff like KM-184s, DPA4041s, and TF-5s will sound great.

drumnut87

my personal choices are all from a company called lewitt microphones.

i would go for the DTP 340 or 640 rex for bass drum, DT340tt for toms, MTP440 for snare, and a some pencil condensors for overeheads (either the LCT 040 matched pair OR the LCT 140 air condensors :) or if you can afford it, get the beat pro 7 drum mic kit, theyre deffo worth it :)