Drum Microphones

_samdrums_

Hey! I was wondering what microphones to get to record my kit, if you need any specs about my kit ill be happy to give you them!

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Don't need to know what kind of kit you have, just how much your budget is and if you want to mic each one individually or not.

Also, are you recording into your computer? How are you getting the mic signals into it? Or are you going strictly analog into your own mixing board? These also figure into what you would buy.

Hey I am looking to get a drum magazine for my CYMA AK47 & RPK. Does anoyone know what is compatable with the CYMA brand? I would prefer to order from AirsoftGI.
Thanks,
Ryan

This is a deep topic.
What is your budget?

If you have a nice acoustical environment then Earthworks do some excellent mics. I have the Earthworks DK25/R and it is how I record drums most of the time, sometimes supplementing with other mics if I feel the need.
If you are on a budget then Audix do some decent packs.

Otherwise my suggestions are here:

Kick: AKG D112 in the drum, some sort of LDC about 2ft from the drum, padded and then corrected for phase.
Snare: Shure SM57 are standard, I hate them and use KM84's most of the time. if you mic underneath then remember flip phase.
Hihat: Neuman KM84 or 184 is often used but I almost never mic the hats these days if I have nice overheads.
Toms: Sennheiser MD441
Overheads: Many options here, there are loads of SDC's or LDC's, even ribbons- it depends on how you are micing them.
I use Josephson C42's a hell of a lot, or Beyer M130/M160 in M/S.

I also ways use a nice LDC as a mono room mic and crush it to bits, mixing it in low.

I have a standard AKG drum mic set for about £250 and then bought a SHure SM57 separately for the snare top.

Works fine for me regardless of snare, cymbals, heads etc

Back