Drum Merchanting Tale

Wopsey

Alright, well I'm just bored at work and felt like sharing some merchanting that I've done recently.

Over the past few months I've slowly built a nice kit, aquiring a cymbal or two here and there, a double kick, ect.

I was able to spend $800 total (including gas costs) and aqquired:

Vintage Blue Tama Rockstar Drum Set - $400 (Excellent Condition)
12"x10" Rack Tom with Starcast Mounting
13"x11" Rack Tom with Starcast Mounting
16"x16" Floor Tom
22"x18" Base Drum
14"x5" Tama Rockstar Snare

Cymbals
8" Zildjian A Brilliant Splash
16" Zildjian K Dark Thin Crash
16" Zildjian A Custom Crash (Tiny crack on the edge, sounds just fine)
19" Zildjian Z Custom Rock Crash (Small Crack on the edge however is used as a Ride, still sounds great)

Hardware
Tama Roadpro Double Braced Hi Hat Stand
Tama Roadpro Snare Drum Stand
Tama Roadpro Straight Cymbal Stand
Gibraltar 5609 Double Braced Cymbal Boom Stand

All for $400. The guy bought it years ago for his son, and he played it for a week and gave up. All original heads, all basically brand new.

Over the past few months I had already aqquired the following via Craiglist/Kijiji (for around $600)

8" Zildjian A Custom Splash
10" Zildjian A Custom Rezo Splash
14" Zildjian ZBT Hi-Hats
18" Zildjian ZBT China

2x Gibralter Grabber Cymbal Arm with Clamp
2x CB Percussion Double Braced Boom Stand
CB Percussion Double Braced Cymbal Stand
Double Chain Drive Double Kick Pedals
Evans E-Rings for All Toms/Snare

I had loved the kit, but was disapointed that I couldn't play whenever I wanted. I live in an apartment and can't really just play whenever I want (try to play between 6pm and 10pm). Decided to post it on Kijiji looking to trade for an electric kit. At first I didn't think much of it, figured it would take weeks before I got a decent offer.

After waking up only 6 hours after I had posted the add, I had 8 new emails in regards to trades/sales. Only one caught my attention, a set of Roland TD-4SX Compact V-Drums. They were brand new essentially, the guy didn't like electric kits and really wanted a real kit. He had bought it 6 months ago, and all it had (use wise) was some dust.

Called the guy, and within 4 hours we had already exchanged drums. He brought them over, already set up, and they sounded amazing! My friend had recently picked up a TD-3 and it was awesome, having all 4 mesh pads was sweet and a whole new drum interface was pretty sick.

I managed to keep my double kick pedal and was able to hook up my Cymbal I had from a Rockband ION kit I had purchased a few years ago. Everything sounded great, so many customizable features.. Roland makes some quality products, I'll tell you that...

Tried them for a while, thought they sounded great, but ultimately, a little over the top. I feel they're a bit higher than my needs. I really just need a basic electric kit to practice on while I can't play my real drums (living in an Apartment, only play during 6pm-10pm to be nice).

As such, I decided to post them on Kijiji/Craigslist for sale to see what I could get.

Ended up being offered $1450 with a Drum Throne, and will more than likely be selling it to him tomorrow.

I had ultimately wanted an e-kit so I could play whenever I wanted. I've since decided that turning my ION Drum Kit that I have used for years to play Rockband on into an electric kit, is a far better idea. There is a pack for $200 which includes everything required to do this.

With that being said, I'm essentially going to be recieving $1450 cash for my efforts, a $500 profit. I plan to change my ion kit into an electric kit, and spend the remaining $1200 on a sexy new kit with Sabian Cymbals (Canadian ftw).

On a side note, I know that a lot of you on the forum are a bit older/better off and may not think this is very impressive, however I'm 19 years old fully supporting myself with a full time job. I'm on a paycheque to paycheque basis and can't really afford to spend much on drum paraphernalia. I've slowly spent the extra cash I've earned from working overtime to obtain these drums, and am fairly proud that I've been able to accomplish this on the side. Sorry if you do not :(

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
That's great! Only 19 and fiscally responsible has got to be really cool! I commend you.

So let me get this straight, you got the drums and cymbals for $400, then flipped them for a Roland eKit? Now you're gonna sell the eKit and get real drums? But you keep an ION eKit for practicing?

Wopsey

That's great! Only 19 and fiscally responsible has got to be really cool! I commend you.

So let me get this straight, you got the drums and cymbals for $400, then flipped them for a Roland eKit? Now you're gonna sell the eKit and get real drums? But you keep an ION eKit for practicing?
Got the one drum kit for $400, then sold the kit + more cymbals/hardware I spent another $400 (esentially $800 from my pocket) for a Roland eKit.

Now I'm gonna sell the Roland eKit for $1450 and will be investing $200 of that $1450 into the Brain/Kick pad needed to upgrade my Ion Kit to an eKit. Then have another $1250 to spend on whatever, which will more than likely be another real drum set :)