Drum Manitenance Day

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
The big brown truck is bringing new heads today for my 10, 12, 14 Renown toms, so this morning I figured I would remove the old heads and do a little cleaning of the toms. Wiped everything down with a damp cloth, dried and inspected. To my surprise every bolt/screw that hold the lugs to the shell were loose. All of them. Even the ones holding the leg mounts on the 14 floor tom. I got my trusty 7mm socket out and went to work. Some required a little more than a whole turn to be tight. I was surprised at this. Not sure when I last did this but will do it more often before something gives way while playing. Next time you change your heads give all of those little buggers a look-see.

Attachments

KamaK

Platinum Member
Note: Renowns have the rubber grommet under each lug, and it's not unusual to get a full turn of compression out of the grommet.

I'll check my Renown today/tomorrow to see if my experience matches Grunts. I'm 2.5 years into mine without any tightening (yet).

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
KamaK, thanks for the input. These were too loose for my liking and my lightening was beyond just gasket compressing I expected some turning but not what I experienced. It may have been 5 years since I last checked. To me it was well worth the 3 minutes per drum to rectify.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Different new heads. I have tried almost every thing Evans has to off except Hydraulics. I found a deal for 10, 12, 14 for 29.99 so I figured why not. I wanted the new Evans '56 but till havent heard enough positive from drummers so I will save my 50.00 until then. Many people call them, the Hydraulics, very dead sounding so I will let you know how they sound on my Gretsch Renown.

Last edited:

Stroman

Platinum Member
Always worth a reminder! I check drums when they are new, and then check periodically when changing heads, too. I've never found any that were a full turn loose, though! Yikes.

belairien

Silver Member
I only had one set do that. Every other kit had split ring lock washers. Still check them though every head change.

thunderstruck

Silver Member
I do a yearly cleaning and maintenance on my kit. I found loose hardware just one time. I am looking forward to your opinion on the new hydraulic heads.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Many people call them, the Hydraulics, very dead sounding so I will let you know how they sound on my Gretsch Renown.
I'd use hydraulics if I had to regularly play someplace that had some unwieldy reverb, such as a Gymnasium, corrugated steel enclosure like a rental-storage, shipping/cargo container, or culvert. Think of it as the ultimate in brief percussive notes.

I imagine they're a godsend for the (extremely?) rare occasions and edge cases where you actually need them.