Drum maintenance week!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So apparently DW recommends that you re-apply tung oil to their satin finish drums every few years. I just spent the last week dismantling all three of my drums and took the time to apply the oil, let it dry for a bit, then hand-buffed it, then let it sit 24-hours, then repeating the process one more time. Going on the drums took on a nice gloss finish, and as I buffed them and repeated, the shells took on this nice lustre.

While I was at it, I replaced ALL the screws and washers with new stainless steel ones and trashed all the cheap corroded screws DW initially installed (talk about cheaping out). Now the drums look new inside and out! The pictures don’t quite translate the beauty, but now they all look uniform and the grain pops out at you a bit more. What do you think?

9FAA1945-AE76-49CD-8C57-0B46ECC272E2.jpeg87E6EA14-7054-4EDD-964D-B09BAB03E4AF.jpeg3300A129-74DD-4469-BC50-75AFC56C58F2.jpeg

That frikkin set is beautiful!. You took the time to really give your sweetheart the once over...shes a beauty and I'm serious.

I think DW suggesting any kind of re-application of the tung oil is a little much. I hope Honda doesn't want me to repaint my car any time soon. I thought washing and waxing was enough but maybe I'm wrong? All it does is strengthen my resolve for finish ply.

Correct. The drums have no clear coat on them, so the wood is basically open. Not sure whaat the tung oil directions said, but in my use I put it on heavy and let it sit over night, then wipe the excess off. Either way, looks terrific

Correct. The drums have no clear coat on them, so the wood is basically open. Not sure whaat the tung oil directions said, but in my use I put it on heavy and let it sit over night, then wipe the excess off. Either way, looks terrific
My directions were to let it sit for 30 minutes, then wipe off and let dry overnight.. so it took about three days.

So apparently DW recommends that you re-apply tung oil to their satin finish drums every few years. I just spent the last week dismantling all three of my drums and took the time to apply the oil, let it dry for a bit, then hand-buffed it, then let it sit 24-hours, then repeating the process one more time. Going on the drums took on a nice gloss finish, and as I buffed them and repeated, the shells took on this nice lustre.

While I was at it, I replaced ALL the screws and washers with new stainless steel ones and trashed all the cheap corroded screws DW initially installed (talk about cheaping out). Now the drums look new inside and out! The pictures don’t quite translate the beauty, but now they all look uniform and the grain pops out at you a bit more. What do you think?

View attachment 102858View attachment 102859View attachment 102860
So this multithousand $ drum kit hasn't even stainless screws?

I think DW suggesting any kind of re-application of the tung oil is a little much. I hope Honda doesn't want me to repaint my car any time soon. I thought washing and waxing was enough but maybe I'm wrong? All it does is strengthen my resolve for finish ply.
My thoughts exactly! Are you sposed to sand them down first so it sticks too??

Man that DW kit of yours just knocks my socks off every time you post pics. When I think of a clean, classy, do it all kit, your DW kit always springs to mind. Maybe it’s time I treat myself to something similar. I don’t have anything worthwhile to add to the tung oil discussion lol, I just like seeing the pics of your kit.

Man that DW kit of yours just knocks my socks off every time you post pics. When I think of a clean, classy, do it all kit, your DW kit always springs to mind. Maybe it’s time I treat myself to something similar. I don’t have anything worthwhile to add to the tung oil discussion lol, I just like seeing the pics of your kit.
Thanks. I like nice drums, but I want them to look like they work for a living. Maybe you should treat yourself, but if you like what you have, maybe you don’t need to ?

View attachment 102858View attachment 102859View attachment 102860

nothing like upping the property value!!!

I need to do this to the inside shells of the marching tenors since they are exposed to the elements...I usually Murphy's Oil Soap the insides of all of the marching drums at school every June on "care and repair day"...

nothing like upping the property value!!!

I need to do this to the inside shells of the marching tenors since they are exposed to the elements...I usually Murphy's Oil Soap the insides of all of the marching drums at school every June on "care and repair day"...
I once assisted the guys at ProDrum once where they put marine shellac on the inside of a snare drum and then they had me toss it like a pizza for an hour so the shellac wouldn’t run as it dried. I was told it helps with projection, but I bet you could submerge it in water for the rest of its life. I think marching drums should have that stuff inside AND outside ?

I once assisted the guys at ProDrum once where they put marine shellac on the inside of a snare drum and then they had me toss it like a pizza for an hour so the shellac wouldn’t run as it dried. I was told it helps with projection, but I bet you could submerge it in water for the rest of its life. I think marching drums should have that stuff inside AND outside ?

I have actually heard of groups in the past using it for the projection effect...I might look into that for the tenors...but would be afraid that it might brighten up the sound more than I want...for now, when it rains, I just make them leave the drums folded down

All due respect Bo I got a Franklin that says the set won't be around by the time the next coat is due.

Who's in?

Back