Drum lesson with famous drummer....

petey

I don't think it's so much a lesson that'd i'd want but just to be able to talk drums
with Tony Thompson would be cool, he was such a great player

MileHighDrummer

I think speculating on dead is a little over-reaching. However, if I were going to pay for private master lessons, it would be Carter Beauford.

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
I think speculating on dead is a little over-reaching

I don't believe so. I would love to have had the opportunity to study with Ed Shaughnessy and/or Joe Morello. Shaughnessy to learn about big-band drumming (apart from his Tonight Show gig) and Morello just because he was Joe Morello and his work in Dave Brubeck's band. Especially his work on "Take Five". Brilliant.

BillRayDrums

Gold Member
I got a friend of mine who took a lesson with Vinnie Colaiuta years ago. He said that "honestly it was not a very good lesson".

Teaching is an art and while there's amazing unbelievable players out there who can play stuff that makes your jaw hit the floor, sometimes guys like that are so introspective onto their own thing that turning the mirror around to reflect upon another is very difficult to accomplish and then the "lesson" just ends up being a bunch of chops being blown about with no real focus put on those things that could develop a player farther, faster.

Sometimes that old guy in the dank little room in the back of the music store really is a great solution. :D

M

Mike_In_KC

I would gladly accept the shittiest of lessons from Mr. Bonham....

WhoIsTony?

I've studied with many

some amazing lessons.... some not so good

the best players are not always the best teachers

brady

Platinum Member
Good timing for this thread.

Last weekend, I had a short lesson from Clayton Cameron. I've had lessons from other pros but I got just about as much out of our few minutes together than I have in other lessons.

A little background: I met Clayton a few months ago at a club in Minneapolis. We talked for a little bit about brushes (of course), his background, etc. I also asked him about a couple things in his book, which I brought. After the show, he took me aside and showed me a Latin pattern that I told him I was having issues with. He could not have been more polite. He signed the book and a drumhead for me too.

Fast forward to last weekend when I went to go see the Count Basie Orchestra where Clayton Cameron was sitting in. I met him at the stage after the show. He remembered our meeting and discussing his book. I asked him if I could demonstrate the pattern that I had been working on. (Yes, I took my brushes in case this actually happened.) First, he took me backstage, then he said we could just do it at the hotel room. I actually gave him a ride to the hotel!!

Once we got there. He grabbed a newspaper off of a table and we did the lesson right there on the Wall Street Journal. He said the pattern sounded good but he gave me a few pointers to smooth it out and make faster tempos easier. Again, he could not have been a nicer guy.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Living in LA, getting a lesson from a famous drummer is highly possible.
I just lack the money and time these days.

If I had the money, Glenn Sobel, Greg Bisonette, Mark Zonder, and/or Kenny Arnoff.

But in the spirit of the thread: Neil Peart. Simply because I know he never gives lessons, so if I had one, I'd be the only one! And I would fid that amusing.

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
I took lessons from Rick Latham, great guy, great teacher. In the San Fernando Valley, can't say enough good things

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
A few weeks ago I got some lessons from a friend of mine who teaches drums for a living.
It was kind of fun because I have been playing drums longer than he has. However, he helped me in several areas. And he solved some problems I was having.

So I think anytime you can get with another experienced drummer, especially one who teaches drums, you can learn some things. You just need to be open to new ideas.

I would love to spend some time and exchange ideas with many of you who post here on this forum.

Brian

Gold Member
Rather than textbook-heavy study, I take more away philosophical and approach oriented lessons.
Having said that, Elvin Jones would be my choice. Also, Freddy Gruber. However, Gary Chester would be my choice for the other side of the spectrum (not that Gary Chester wasn't equipped for the former)

Boomka

Platinum Member
Good timing for this thread.

Last weekend, I had a short lesson from Clayton Cameron. I've had lessons from other pros but I got just about as much out of our few minutes together than I have in other lessons.

A little background: I met Clayton a few months ago at a club in Minneapolis. We talked for a little bit about brushes (of course), his background, etc. I also asked him about a couple things in his book, which I brought. After the show, he took me aside and showed me a Latin pattern that I told him I was having issues with. He could not have been more polite. He signed the book and a drumhead for me too.

Fast forward to last weekend when I went to go see the Count Basie Orchestra where Clayton Cameron was sitting in. I met him at the stage after the show. He remembered our meeting and discussing his book. I asked him if I could demonstrate the pattern that I had been working on. (Yes, I took my brushes in case this actually happened.) First, he took me backstage, then he said we could just do it at the hotel room. I actually gave him a ride to the hotel!!

Once we got there. He grabbed a newspaper off of a table and we did the lesson right there on the Wall Street Journal. He said the pattern sounded good but he gave me a few pointers to smooth it out and make faster tempos easier. Again, he could not have been a nicer guy.
Yes, he's a sweetheart. Many moons ago he dropped into a drum shop I worked in while touring with Tony Bennett. He saw me diddling away on a pad with sticks and came over and asked if I'd applied any of my rudimental chops to the brushes. I said I had but that I'd be honoured if he'd demonstrate a little of what he meant. He grabbed a set of brushes and gave me (and eventually everyone in the shop as they gathered around) a 20 minute lesson on his approach to rudiments using brushes. Then he went down to our book shop, found some copies of his book and signed some for us. Fantastic guy and really giving of his time and knowledge.

Benny Greb is a guy I would definitely want to take lessons from, if the opportunity presented itself. He's such an amazing drummer and musician. I think he is a great teacher, and that's really cool, because not all pro drummers are like that. Anyone been to one of his drumcamps?

Boomka

Platinum Member
To the question in the opening post, from the "dead" pile, I'd take Papa Jo Jones, Earl Palmer or Mel Lewis.

From the land of the living, it'd be Matt Chamberlain, Shawn Pelton, Paul Leim or Steve Gadd.

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
I've studied with many

some amazing lessons.... some not so good

the best players are not always the best teachers
Same here. I'll list them for fun:

Rod Morgenstein
Joe Morello
Jim Chapin (had a lesson in his backyard, only one though)
Dom Famularo
Mike Mangini
Tommy Igoe

WhoIsTony?

Same here. I'll list them for fun:

Rod Morgenstein
Joe Morello
Jim Chapin (had a lesson in his backyard, only one though)
Dom Famularo
Mike Mangini
Tommy Igoe
I'd list who I studied with but recently I was accused of name dropping by some tool on here ....
you are lucky to have studied with Joe
he was a one of a kind and I wish I had the opportunity to

Boomka

Platinum Member
I'd list who I studied with but recently I was accused of name dropping by some tool on here ....
you are lucky to have studied with Joe
he was a one of a kind and I wish I had the opportunity to
Screw 'em. Get dropping. Inquiring minds want to know (and pick your brain...)

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Gosh so many come to mind. Speculating over the deceased is a futile gesture in my mind.
Time and money I would like to study with...

JR Robinson
David Garibaldi
Rick Latham
Paul Leim
Andy Newmark

Jack DeJohnette
Clayton Cameron
Ed Soph
John Riley

Pat Masteletto
Carl Palmer
Alan White
Graeme Edge (just because it would be extremely cool to hang with a legend)