Drum Kit Set-Up

Rick1067

I received a partial drum kit in Lou of payment for some work I did for a friend of mine. However, it was missing the Ride and Crash cymbals. I purchased a 20 inch ride cymbal and a 16 inch crash cymbal. Should the other crash be a 14 inch or an 18 inch Crash Cymbal?

It might also be beneficial to let you know this is the first drum kit I have ever had I am setting it up for my grandson. I am a bass player and vocalist and know nothing about drums.

I received a partial drum kit in Lou of payment for some work I did for a friend of mine. However, it was missing the Ride and Crash cymbals. I purchased a 20 inch ride cymbal and a 16 inch crash cymbal. Should the other crash be a 14 inch or an 18 inch Crash Cymbal?

It might also be beneficial to let you know this is the first drum kit I have ever had I am setting it up for my grandson. I am a bass player and vocalist and know nothing about drums.

I'd go with the 18" as well. I mean - it is personal preference - but a solid 18" crash is a must have anyways. A 14" crash is small enough to be on the border of a splash and while it's perfectly valid - you'll got some good mileage out of 18" crash! Nice to have a big explosion at your finger tips.

I'd opt for an 18. I don't own a crash smaller than 16. The choice is yours, however, and a 14 would work fine as well.

Gentlemen, thank you so much for you guidance on this cymbal.

The next issue is tuning the heads. I replaced all of the Top heads with Remo heads. The set has new looking Clear bottom skins on all 3 Toms. My question is, How do you “Tune” these things?

A guitar/Bass I can by ear. Drums, I am lost/dumb.

I know this is gonna sound stupid but don’t shoot me remember I am a bassist.

is there not some type of tuning apparatus because I do know that different drummers from different bands have the drum set a different tones

there are many drum tuning apparatus, but as a bassist and vocalist you shoul dbe able to tune by ear. Most of this are around $100.00

The gentleman on eBay had a Best Offer tab on the auction. I lowballed at $18 because the shipping was $40. He countered with $70. I won the auction at $15.

Back