Drum Kit Positioning

zeitgeist

I got into a quasi-hobby years ago refurbing damaged or neglected drumsets, and since it's not fun to do all of that work and not enjoy playing them, it led to a basement hobby. The latest one I brought back to life, is a vintage Rogers set. But it's oversized, with a strange mix of toms (13", 14", 18", 26"). Initially, this kit was set up with the toms on individual tom stands. And this was unworkable, really. So I found a tom rack that would fit into the bass drum with a 2-tom side by side configuration. That worked much better in terms of ergonomics (the handle-style clamps have some issues but that's another topic).

Anyway, after moving to a new smaller home, I didn't think I really had the room to set up a kit and play again (and I haven't warmed up to electronic yet). The drums have sat in storage for quite some time, and I decided to see if I could make something work with very small space. This particular video saved me! I credit it with allowing me to set this up and continue playing. I thought I would share it, as it can help someone trying to put a set in a small confined space of a room, like a corner. As a bonus, while it's a bit contrarian to what you typically see on a stage, I am finding that it actually makes playing a lot more fluid and efficient.

Drumset Ergonomics: a logical approach to positioning your kit

harryconway

Platinum Member
...... vintage Rogers set. But it's oversized, with a strange mix of toms (13", 14", 18", 26").
Actually not an odd mix for the period of the kit. The 26, 14, 18 makes perfect sense ..... as a big sized 4 piece (add a snare). Some would add a second 16" floor tom ..... for a 1 up, 2 down kit. Whoever owned this kit prior, was a 2 up, 1 down player ..... and a 13" rack would be a logical choice.

Pictures please ...... and are the shells the 5 ply (with reinforcement ring) or the 8 ply (straight shell). Either way ..... a 26" Rogers bass drum is pretty rare.

zeitgeist

Actually not an odd mix for the period of the kit. The 26, 14, 18 makes perfect sense ..... as a big sized 4 piece (add a snare). Some would add a second 16" floor tom ..... for a 1 up, 2 down kit. Whoever owned this kit prior, was a 2 up, 1 down player ..... and a 13" rack would be a logical choice.

Pictures please ...... and are the shells the 5 ply (with reinforcement ring) or the 8 ply (straight shell). Either way ..... a 26" Rogers bass drum is pretty rare.

Attachments

• 20210908_162807.jpg
    20210908_162807.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 17

harryconway

Platinum Member
Sweet kit. Swiv-o-matic hardware ..... so definitely the earlier 5 ply shells. Must sound thunderous. Very cool.

zeitgeist

Sweet kit. Swiv-o-matic hardware ..... so definitely the earlier 5 ply shells. Must sound thunderous. Very cool.
Thanks. It was a mess when I bought it. Took a lot of work to get it back. The owner had even sold off the bass drum lugs, and it was cost prohibitive to buy them back so I had to get vintage Tama lugs so they would match up. They do have a big sound. But they're temperamental and have to be tuned often.