Drum kit identification

tiki16

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. I am thinking of purchasing a used kit. The guy selling it doesn't know what make it is. There are no badges on it. He bought it used and the guy be bought it off didn't know what it was.

I am wondering if there are any people here who might be able to identify it. The kit consists of a 12, 13 and 16" toms with a 22" bass drum. I am including 2 pics that he sent me.

Cheers
Steve

Attachments

• drum1.jpg
    drum1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 2,082
  • drum2.jpg
    drum2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 2,060
Last edited:

MasterCylinder

Your link doesn't work properly.
You might want to go to the FAQ above and learn how to post your photos.

uniongoon

Gold Member
I do not recognize the lugs or tom mounts, but it looks like a maple interior on the kick. would be helpful to get a photo looking into the toms with the head off. This could be a custom built or home assembled kit, the quality of the kit looks good. Possible someone ordered some keller shells, aftermarket hardware and assembled their own custom kit.

tiki16

This could be a custom built or home assembled kit, the quality of the kit looks good. Possible someone ordered some keller shells, aftermarket hardware and assembled their own custom kit.

If they weren't custom, would there not be a hole where the badge was mounted? I guess they likely are custom.
thanks

tiki16

He's firm at $400 but he is also including 3 double braced cymbal stands and a set of new Beato bags. I am looking at a Rogers 1975 butcher block, 5 ply maple tomorrow. Gorgeous kit.
thanks

JohnPloughman

Silver Member
I can provide some help on the Rogers. I have no opinion on the kit pictured, other than a Yamaha style, generic mount, (not YESS system, but similar in look to Yamaha) and I believe after market wrap.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
That generic kit is without a doubt worth $400 with the stands, etc.
Providing that the edges and hardware are in good condition.

The Rogers kit is a 70's Big R badge. Not my fav vintage for Rogers drums.
Bucher block wrap always turned me off too.
It is worth in the area of the asking price.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I agree the kit in the picture looks custom done.

The tom mounts system is what Remo uses on their drums, but can be purchased separately from parts distributors. I guess someone bought some raw shells, some generic parts, nice wrap and put them together. If so, certainly worth the $400.

eamesuser

Silver Member
On the Rogers kit,in the U.S. Market that is kind of a love it or hate it wrap,and memriloc kits go for less than swivo,I have seen plenty of those sell in the 350.00 to 500.00 range depending on condition,great drums,but not going for a lot on the used market.

On the WMP kit,looks like a custom/small maker,or a very nice DIY kit,looks like the wrap could be a pre aged wmp.The kit looks well built and wrapped professionally.

A closer look pics,or in person would probably tell the tale,but as long as the shells are in round and edges well done I think def worth 400.00

tiki16

Thanks for the replies. I bought the generic kit. It looks like there were badges on it that were removed. So it isn't generic after all. Not sure what it could be? The guy thought maybe slingerland or yamaha? He was a nice guy pro drummer.

tiki16

Here is a couple of pics where the badges were. You can see how it has yellowed compared to where the badge was. How many years does it take for this wrap to yellow? I think it is a 6 ply. not sure what the wood is? Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• drum1.jpg
    drum1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,893
  • drum2.jpg
    drum2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,875
  • drum3.jpg
    drum3.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,861
  • drum4.jpg
    drum4.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,876

JohnPloughman

Silver Member
Rogers kit was made between aprox. 12/75 and mid 1977. It is an undesireable finish, and is being offered at its aprox. retail value. If there are condition issues, greatly reduce the price.

tiki16

Rogers kit was made between aprox. 12/75 and mid 1977. It is an undesireable finish, and is being offered at its aprox. retail value. If there are condition issues, greatly reduce the price.

Are you referring to the WMP pics or butcher block? Why do you consider it an undesirable finish? Do you know what the wood ply is?
thanks

eamesuser

Silver Member
On the WMP kit,the lugs don't look like sling lugs,but the badge shape is oval like Sling and other makers,pics of the lugs, an iside of shells would help,still think it is a small maker kit though.

On the Rogers the shells were 5 ply Maple/poplar /maple/ poplar/maple with re rings. The butcher block finish is basically formica,and is not a desirable finish,neither is any of the faux wood finishes from the 70's through early eighties,at least in the U.S. I have heard this is not as much of an issue in Europe. I grew up in the southeastern united states (Atlanta) and those finishes were pretty popular among rock and especially country drummers.

Of all the faux wood finishes I like the Koa the best,I would like to have a kit in that finish.If you like the faux wood finishes that is great for the buyer for sure,another nice thing is that those finishes are bullet proof so you can find these 30 plus year old drum kits in excellent condition,like the one in the ad.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Here is a couple of pics where the badges were. You can see how it has yellowed compared to where the badge was. How many years does it take for this wrap to yellow? I think it is a 6 ply. not sure what the wood is? Any help appreciated.
I still really can't tell much from these pics.
It takes many years for WMP wrap to yellow like that.