Drum kit choise for hip hop

reDrum

Hi guys i know hip hop got a lot mix thing like other genres .So what is your choise? Im specially wanna ask what drumhead have to use on kick drum ?

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
If it’s not a 808, then a lot of hip hop uses what’s called “drum breaks” from old r&b, funk and soul records. And I would bet most of those recordings used old rogers drums. But honestly you could probably make anything work with the right tuning and heads

I think an 18" or 20" bass drum with an Evans EMAD offers a lot of versatility. You can get very high and low pitches and you can use different or no muffle rings on the EMAD. If you really want to get into recording / different sounds you can also have one resonant head with a hole and one without.

I once used a 22" bass drum with a Remo pinstripe, no front head, big ol' pillow inside, for a hip hop/rap project. It really depends on what your doing. I think Swisswards suggestion makes a lot of sense if you are looking for versatility though.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Hi guys i know hip hop got a lot mix thing like other genres .So what is your choise? Im specially wanna ask what drumhead have to use on kick drum ?
Hiphop, like any other genre, features a plethora of diverse drum sounds. It seems like you're primarily interested in the BD sound, and I have the following advice....

EMAD on the batter, so you can change from muffled to (relatively) unencumbered.

On the reso side, use a unmuffled head for sparse arrangements where there is no competition for low end (no bass player). Use a head with a ring muffler for dense arrangements (with a bass player). Use an unmuffled head with an Evans EQ Pad (velcro) if you need to change up from gig to gig.

If amplified/recording, use whatever heads you want and leverage a BD trigger (like an EAD10 setup) to get whatever amplified sound you desire.

Last edited: