drum hoops

todd Biffard

New member
I have always been confused by the terms used to describe drum hoops made of metal: die cast hoops, or triple flanged hoops. These descriptions don't make sense to me. Die cast is a manufacturing method, whereas triple flanged is a description of the design /shape.
What we call triple flanged are made by a process called forging, where metal is heated and then re-shaped. But you can also make a triple-flanged hoop with a casting process, whereby metal is heated until it is liquid, and then poured into a mold and cooled in shape.

So either manufacturing method can be used to make any kind of hoop (unflanged, single flanged, double flanged, or triple flanged). The triple flanged hoop first appeared in the late 1920, and today virtually all hoops are triple flanged.

So wouldn't it make sense to describe hoops based on the metal? That is the prime determinant of the weight and therefore sound of it. Who cares about the flanges? Almost all hoops for over 60 years have been triple flanged. It's just a description of the design (the flaring of the metal). But what I really care about is the type of metal!

I would assume that certain metals are more suited to one process or the other (forging vs casting), and that heavier metals shape better using the casting method.

Is there anyone out there who actually makes drums hoops and can comment? Or someone who understands the properties of metals? I would really like to know if I'm mistaken about this.


Gold Member
I suspect that you are exactly right about the terminology, but I don't think that it matters much. Terms like diecast and single/double/triple flanged have come to mean certain specific things to drummers, and, right or wrong, those descriptors are not going to change. It's certainly a good topic for discussion and education, though. So thanks for bringing it up.



Silver Member
@todd Biffard , the meanings as applied to drum hoops are simple- the words are used as adjectives rather than nouns. "Die cast" can be a noun (the method), verb ("This hoop was die-cast"), or adjective ("I like these die-cast hoops"). "Flanged" (single, triple, whatever) is a description, but also a past-tense verb.

Yes, you can make hoops in a flanged shape with the die-cast method, but why would anyone do that? It would require a much more odd-shaped mold, to produce a shape that could be made with the much less expensive forging process. Plus, the die-casting process eliminates the need for flanges, where flanged hoops are made by bending (not only into round and welded, but also "flanging" [sp?]) flat strips of metal into shape. Conversely, I'm not sure that a die-cast hoop shape can be made with the forging process; the, ummm... I don't know what they're called- "ears" of a die-cast shaped hoop where the lug screws pass through can't be created by flanging.

As for the metals- well, that's independent of the process, as multiple metals can be both cast and forged. Hence, the metal used is added to the description of hoops, since the metal doesn't dictate the method. Most, or at least some, descriptions of hoops by manufacturers state the metal type. I suppose those that don't, feel that customers don't care...?