Drum Heads - Two Parter(Not what you think..)

iontheable

No! I do not need advice on which drum head for "X" genre, despite the illusive title.

So, I do a lot of art and for some time I've been wanting to add some designs to my drum heads, come up with a theme and apply it to all my heads eventually.

Here's where my questions come though:

Does anyone know how I can remove the decals from the heads themselves? I've tried some very heavy duty Denatured Alcohol, which I've always assumed is like paint thinner on crack, and I was worried that this might even ruined/remove the coating from the head. However, neither has happened(thankfully for the latter)

And secondly, what would you use to 'decorate' the drum head? I was thinking Sharpies, however, I know those can be quite abrasive and money is always tight, so I really don't want to risk ruining like-new drum heads.

Thanks for Reading ..and a bigger 'Thank You' if you can contribute :)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I haven't tried, but if goof off doesn't remove the logo, then I'm not sure what will. I wouldn't use goof off on my mylar though, too risky. It may break it down.
If you use clear heads, obviously do the art on the inside of the head. The scuff marks from playing will detract though. Sharpies won't last on clear heads, I would think you need a flexible paint, a decal even. If you use coated, I don't see how a sharpie would harm anything. Abrasive sharpies? I'm not sure what the heck you're talking about.

How about this. Multiple layers of different colors. As the head wears down, you will have a pattern unique to the individual player. I don't really mean that.

iontheable

I haven't tried, but if goof off doesn't remove the logo, then I'm not sure what will. I wouldn't use goof off on my mylar though, too risky. It may break it down.
If you use clear heads, obviously do the art on the inside of the head. The scuff marks from playing will detract though. Sharpies won't last on clear heads, I would think you need a flexible paint, a decal even. If you use coated, I don't see how a sharpie would harm anything. Abrasive sharpies? I'm not sure what the heck you're talking about.

How about this. Multiple layers of different colors. As the head wears down, you will have a pattern unique to the individual player. I don't really mean that.
Haha, thanks Larry.

I totally meant "aggressive" and not abrasive..<--a sign I've been working far too much and playing my drums too little..

Anyhow, I will give it a-go. I am not too keen on using clear heads, generally..maybe on 13" and smaller toms, but that's just my ears. I'll try sharpie on my snare and see how that goes, I've got a few 14" coated snare heads laying around and a nice Mapex/Remo one to experiment with.