Drum head

Tiges

Hi there I've noticed on some new Drum heads on the shelf that the gaps between the rim and the start of the shell are not all even right round this to me would think when you put it on your drum there would be gaps bigger than others on the drum just curious what do you think I always inspect the head before I buy for that reason.

Are you sure that it's the head and not the drum shell or the drum's hoop that is out of round? I'd check those, too.
A diameter of e.g. 14" is not always exactly 14". Some shells are slightly smaller or larger in diameter (undersized / oversized). Likewise, drum heads vary slightly. The diameter and the thickness of the head's hoop can make it, that some heads work better.
Do you get this problem with different drums?
Which drums and heads are you talking about exactly?

Tiges

No it's not happening on my kit in saying the heads at the store some have none even gaps between the shell and the rim on the new head I'm not taking about the actual drum rim it's on some remo and Evan heads I've seen.

Could you upload a photo of such a problematic head?
Honestly, I don't understand your last post. I mean, the "shell" is a part of the drum, right? Is your problem, that there are uneven gaps between the drum's shell and the head's hoop (not talking about the DRUM's hoop / rim) when seating the head? How can you see that in a store without having your drum with you?
Unless your store received a load of heads with warped hoops, I'd still be interested in which combination of drums and heads have that problem.
If you have that problem with the same type of heads (e.g. two identical Remo Ambassadors), I'd think that your drums might be slightly oversized. In that case, something like a "Remo Classic Fit" might work better, but hard to tell right now.

Last edited:

JimmyM

Gold Member
I've noticed that occasionally, but I just make sure they're seated well, put the hoop on, finger tighten with even pressure, keep even pressure across the head as you go, and it always works out.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I think @Tiges is trying to say that on some heads, the collar is taller on one side of the head than the other. If you set one of these heads on a drum, would tuning be a problem?

That is what I'm getting out of it anyhow.

JimmyM

Gold Member
I think @Tiges is trying to say that on some heads, the collar is taller on one side of the head than the other. If you set one of these heads on a drum, would tuning be a problem?

That is what I'm getting out of it anyhow.
Probably right. I never think about such things myself. I figure the hoop will take care of things. So I guess I'd say the same thing I did anyway :D

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Probably right. I never think about such things myself. I figure the hoop will take care of things. So I guess I'd say the same thing I did anyway :D
I cant make up my mind. Part of me thinks that once under tension it wont matter because the head seats to the bearing edge.

The other part thinks that the tension around the head at the lugs wont be perpendicular to the head. On one side the tension will pull slightly toward the drum while the opposite side pulls away.

Both are probably wrong. With the way things are going, the head will probably turn purple and open a wormhole.