Drum head not seating properly

Hey guys. I own a black beauty it's the 6.5x14.
I know how to seat the head but no matter what I do on the left side of the batter head there is a bigger gap than the right side between the rim and edge. Could it be my hoop is bent or is it a edge of the drum problem? Trying to upload pictures but my photobucket isn't complying

Thanks.

sounds like the hoop

no way to tell for sure without pics or seeing the drum in person

less likely the drum is out of round than the hoop

could also be a faulty head

I'd visually inspect the shell to make sure there isn't something wrong there before taking a tape measure to the shell, the hoop, and the drumhead in several places. One of them has to be problem. Hopefully it's the head, since the other options aren't as cheap to replace.

lay a yardstick or steel rule across the a) bottom of the hoop b) bearing edge and c) bottom of the head.

slowly spin the rule around in a circle. if there is a gap anywhere, that may be your problem.

do other heads fit properly ? if so it may be a bad head.

I'd visually inspect the shell to make sure there isn't something wrong there before taking a tape measure to the shell, the hoop, and the drumhead in several places. One of them has to be problem. Hopefully it's the head, since the other options aren't as cheap to replace.

Thanks. I'll try this when I'm off work. Just bought it yesterday with a warranty.

lay a yardstick or steel rule across the a) bottom of the hoop b) bearing edge and c) bottom of the head.

slowly spin the rule around in a circle. if there is a gap anywhere, that may be your problem.

do other heads fit properly ? if so it may be a bad head.

Thanks. I'll try that. Other heads have same problem hence it's something else.

Tunes up good but still bugs me because I just bought it brand new with warranty.

The tuning is the most important part mate. Some drums are just ever so slightly out of round and unless tuning is affected, there really is nothing to worry about. Just remember, no-one can see under the hoop. If you don't say anything, no-one will be any the wiser. :)

The tuning is the most important part mate. Some drums are just ever so slightly out of round and unless tuning is affected, there really is nothing to worry about. Just remember, no-one can see under the hoop. If you don't say anything, no-one will be any the wiser. :)

I agree but for resale and also just simply because I dropped 660 bucks on it. Might as well get a perfect one

Check both hoop & shell for roundness. If you're returning something it's a much more clear process if you can accurately identify the problem. It's then clear cut.

Although I agree with Jules re: "if it tunes up, it's good to go", there's no doubt that even if it does tune up, either it's performance is affected, or as a minimum, it's more difficult to tune than it should be. Being "accommodating" re: roundness only applies to used purchases, & even then, only if you knew about it. With regards to a new drum, & especially one of supposed quality, it's unacceptable & should be returned.

A simple way to check the shell. Place bearing edge on sheet of paper, draw round bearing edge. Turn shell through 90 degrees. If the first circle you drew is no longer matching then the shell is out of round.

Back