Drum head help

OlliePackman

So I have never bought a set of new heads before but its about time. My current ones are well worn pearl protune heads which need replacing. I don't know anything about buying some new ones and one some guidance. Firstly, what come in the package? Will a g2 clear set for example (not that I specifically want these) come with both skins for one drum (top and bottom) or just the top. If its just the top does the bottom need replacing too or do I just leave the bottom and tune it with the new one. Secondly, could anyone point me in a direction for reasonably priced metal/rock heads for 10 inch, 12 inch and 14 inch Tom's, 14 inch snare and 22 inch bass. Maybe a link to the heads would help? Thanks.

Firstly, what come in the package? Will a g2 clear set for example (not that I specifically want these) come with both skins for one drum (top and bottom) or just the top.

The drum head packs that you'll commonly see come with the heads advertised - so take this one (which I highly recommend):

That comes with three drum heads all for the batter (top) side of your drums).

If its just the top does the bottom need replacing too or do I just leave the bottom and tune it with the new one.

Personally I would take the opportunity to change both the top heads and the bottom heads if you have the $$ available to do s
So I would add a pack like this for the bottom heads:

Secondly, could anyone point me in a direction for reasonably priced metal/rock heads for 10 inch, 12 inch and 14 inch Tom's, 14 inch snare and 22 inch bass. Maybe a link to the heads would help? Thanks.

I personally love the combination of the Evans EC2 SSTs and G1s - it's an exceptionally easy to tune combination that can give you a warm, full rich tone and that will last a long time.

From Evans:

The Evans EC2 clear tom drumhead with SST is a 2-ply head (7-mil each) with Sound Shaping Technology rings mounted underneath. By controlling edge vibration (instead of eliminating it), the rings isolate and dampen higher overtones, enhancing low end and attack and enabling a broader tuning range. Expect great durability, punch, and resonance with this clear version of the Evans EC2 with SST.

I would pair it with the Evans Genera Dry Snare - a very good snare head that's pretty durable and it easy to tune:

From Evans:

The Evans Genera Dry snare drumhead features a 10mil single-ply film with the fat spread of a double-ply film. The 2mil overtone control ring on the underside of the Genera Dry helps to control excessive overtones, promote a shorter sound, and equalize tuning. And, the small vents around the perimeter of the Genera Dry further eliminate additional overtones, giving you a more focused snare sound.

And for the kick I would do an Evans EMAD2 - a super punchy, easy to tune head that sound fat and full and will give you decent articulation if you have double pedals - should last you a while too:

From Evans:

The Evans EMAD2 bass drumhead gives you the ideal balance of punch, power, and low end. The Evans EMAD2 series features two plies of film. The outer ply of 6.5-mil and inner ply of 10-mil film produce enhanced attack, focus, and durability. Also, the industry-standard EMAD system allows for advanced adjustability. Get the most from your kick drum with the Evans EMAD2.

All together you're in for $124 - but your kit will sound brand new!

Also - you might look at a snare side head too...even I forget about those (Which is why it's so far down on this list haha):

So now your total would be $138 - but worth every penny!

Go Sweetwater Music. I prefer Evans heads, but others are good too. A package / set of heads will not have heads for top and bottom. The bottom heads matter just about about as much as top heads. Peace and goodwill.

Firstly, what come in the package? Will a g2 clear set for example (not that I specifically want these) come with both skins for one drum (top and bottom) or just the top.

The drum head packs that you'll commonly see come with the heads advertised - so take this one (which I highly recommend):

That comes with three drum heads all for the batter (top) side of your drums).

If its just the top does the bottom need replacing too or do I just leave the bottom and tune it with the new one.

Personally I would take the opportunity to change both the top heads and the bottom heads if you have the $$ available to do s
So I would add a pack like this for the bottom heads:

Secondly, could anyone point me in a direction for reasonably priced metal/rock heads for 10 inch, 12 inch and 14 inch Tom's, 14 inch snare and 22 inch bass. Maybe a link to the heads would help? Thanks.

I personally love the combination of the Evans EC2 SSTs and G1s - it's an exceptionally easy to tune combination that can give you a warm, full rich tone and that will last a long time.

From Evans:

The Evans EC2 clear tom drumhead with SST is a 2-ply head (7-mil each) with Sound Shaping Technology rings mounted underneath. By controlling edge vibration (instead of eliminating it), the rings isolate and dampen higher overtones, enhancing low end and attack and enabling a broader tuning range. Expect great durability, punch, and resonance with this clear version of the Evans EC2 with SST.

I would pair it with the Evans Genera Dry Snare - a very good snare head that's pretty durable and it easy to tune:

From Evans:

The Evans Genera Dry snare drumhead features a 10mil single-ply film with the fat spread of a double-ply film. The 2mil overtone control ring on the underside of the Genera Dry helps to control excessive overtones, promote a shorter sound, and equalize tuning. And, the small vents around the perimeter of the Genera Dry further eliminate additional overtones, giving you a more focused snare sound.

And for the kick I would do an Evans EMAD2 - a super punchy, easy to tune head that sound fat and full and will give you decent articulation if you have double pedals - should last you a while too:

From Evans:

The Evans EMAD2 bass drumhead gives you the ideal balance of punch, power, and low end. The Evans EMAD2 series features two plies of film. The outer ply of 6.5-mil and inner ply of 10-mil film produce enhanced attack, focus, and durability. Also, the industry-standard EMAD system allows for advanced adjustability. Get the most from your kick drum with the Evans EMAD2.

All together you're in for $124 - but your kit will sound brand new!

Also - you might look at a snare side head too...even I forget about those (Which is why it's so far down on this list haha):

So now your total would be $138 - but worth every penny!
Thank you so much. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Just a couple of questions... I'm guessing side snare head means the head that you don't hit? Also what about getting a head for the side you don't hit on the bass. I'm also in the UK so I will have to find these products somewhere where they have stock here to get them faster and not pay for shipping.

Thank you so much. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Just a couple of questions... I'm guessing side snare head means the head that you don't hit? Also what about getting a head for the side you don't hit on the bass. I'm also in the UK so I will have to find these products somewhere where they have stock here to get them faster and not pay for shipping.

Yessir - that's the underside of the snare head that makes contact with the wires. It's super thin so it tends to wear just from existing on a kit despite not really ever being played on.

Ah - and for the "reso" side of the bass drum if you wanted to you could change to something like:

If your kit has a logo on it that you don't want to lose - you could probably get away without changing it - or you can track down drum company logo stickers easy.

Or you could switch it up entirely and do some custom front bass drum art (which I'm a big fan of):

Places like that.

Back