Drum gods set list....

Super Phil

I've been toying with the idea of putting together a 'Drum Gods' show and having several different local drummers each play a couple of songs from different Classic Rock-era drum gods. (I 'borrowed this idea from John Macaluso, and I'm sure he got it from somewhere else as well).
I was thinking of doing one or two songs each from bands like Led Zeppelin, Rush, The Police, The Who, Van Halen, etc.
So which songs does Drummer World think would be fun and appropriate for something like this??

that is a GREAT idea!!!!

I think the songs would be up to te drummers and the other players they get to help...or would it be like a "karaoke" thing where they play along to the songs?

Last edited:
Why limit it to classic rock? Were there not drum gods in other genres?
The place I see this show happening is more or less a biker bar. So while I may put a couple of metal jams in there, the people there probably wouldn't really be interested in any jazz or Latin kind of stuff as impressive as it may be.

that is a GREAT idea!!!!

I think the songs would be up to te drummers and the other players they get to help...or would it be like a "karaoke" thing where they play along to the songs?

Yeah, they would be playing with guest musicians (in other words a backing band). That's probably a good idea. I should ask the players what they already know and are comfortable with and have possibly performed before.

If you are doing rush I think yyz is a must, and for van halen I would do hot for teacher.

Yeah, they would be playing with guest musicians (in other words a backing band). That's probably a good idea. I should ask the players what they already know and are comfortable with and have possibly performed before.

yeah...cause you would also have to find other players who can play all of their non drum instruments just as well....I personally think the Karaoke style would be easier honestly. Give each drummer a hal hour to get set up, play what they can, and get off stage.

I also don't think a "backline kit" would work, unless it is big. I think you would have to accommodate guys bringing there own set ups. I personally would NOT want to use some beater 5 piece to play to my favorite stuff

The place I see this show happening is more or less a biker bar. So while I may put a couple of metal jams in there, the people there probably wouldn't really be interested in any jazz or Latin kind of stuff as impressive as it may be.

If it's a biker bar, you can't go wrong with some kick ass classic rock.

RIP Cozy!

Paradoxically, bikers engaged in their lifelong themed cosplay don't really care for themed events. You might notice they don't wear Halloween costumes or zany Christmas sweaters.

Their playlists are also pretty limited ... but Rush is definitely not on those lists. Van Halen is a bit too sophisticated for this crowd. Focus on the dumbest stuff you can think off ... Motley Crue, Kid Rock, Jackyl ... That's your drumming meat and potatoes.

Good luck with it.

I've been toying with the idea of putting together a 'Drum Gods' show and having several different local drummers each play a couple of songs from different Classic Rock-era drum gods. (I 'borrowed this idea from John Macaluso, and I'm sure he got it from somewhere else as well).
I was thinking of doing one or two songs each from bands like Led Zeppelin, Rush, The Police, The Who, Van Halen, etc.
So which songs does Drummer World think would be fun and appropriate for something like this??
On such a show I would love to hear Rock&Roll, Xanadu, Synchronicity I, Bell Boy, Jump!

Why on earth would you want to do this at a biker bar???? I couldn't think of a worse place to host such an event.

They did a thing just like this around NAMM the last time I went...for the life of me I can't remember who hosted it. I didn't go but I remember seeing flyers everywhere - lots of drummers playing different covers of classic rock songs - the same thing. Seems like it was a success...if I can find anything on it - I'll come back and post.

Why on earth would you want to do this at a biker bar???? I couldn't think of a worse place to host such an event.

I've been playing this place for years, know the owner, the booker, the sound guy, and would have complete control over how the whole evening worked. And while I call it a 'biker bar' the patrons aren't solely bikers. That's why.

Paradoxically, bikers engaged in their lifelong themed cosplay don't really care for themed events. You might notice they don't wear Halloween costumes or zany Christmas sweaters.

Their playlists are also pretty limited ... but Rush is definitely not on those lists. Van Halen is a bit too sophisticated for this crowd. Focus on the dumbest stuff you can think off ... Motley Crue, Kid Rock, Jackyl ... That's your drumming meat and potatoes.

Good luck with it.
Are you a biker?
I know some who have Halloween parties with costumes, and have a long list of musical interests, from Golden Earring to Van Halen to CCR. Ya, no jazz for sure.

I've been playing this place for years, know the owner, the booker, the sound guy, and would have complete control over how the whole evening worked. And while I call it a 'biker bar' the patrons aren't solely bikers. That's why.
So you're saying it's NOT going to be like this?

Back