Drum gear you don't like the looks of but you like the sound of it

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
LOL...was waiting for someone to mention North. Definitely polarizing. Had a friend who had a BIG set back in the day, so I played them a bit. Been 40+ years, so don't really remember if I liked them or not.

ugh....North drums - at least the marching ones - were made of fiberglass if I remember correctly....awful sound; dumb look and stooopid heavy. They also had this really nasty smell when the fiberglass got hot in the summer....

cdar

Pearl’s newish logo….. every time I see it I have to take a second look….if I still had a Pearl set, I’d exclude that new logo off the kick‘s reso….

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Pearl’s newish logo….. every time I see it I have to take a second look….if I still had a Pearl set, I’d exclude that new logo off the kick‘s reso….ń
I thik that is just referencing the old school logo....not a permanent change

J.D.

ugh....North drums - at least the marching ones - were made of fiberglass if I remember correctly....awful sound; dumb look and stooopid heavy. They also had this really nasty smell when the fiberglass got hot in the summer....
They were all fiberglass. Don't remember much....I was pretty stoned that decade. Probably worth $ now, IDK.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Pearl’s newish logo….. every time I see it I have to take a second look….if I still had a Pearl set, I’d exclude that new logo off the kick‘s reso….
It’s how I feel about the new Sabian (Sabiano) logo. It’s just obnoxious. I love the logo on the Anthology line though. It’s a quarter the size of normal and gold color. The best thing they did with that logo was to hide it!

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member

I sort of like it. It’s really old school. I’m a sucker for vintage logos.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
Not a fan of brown, butcher block finishes. Drums shouldnt look like a cutting board.

Spurs that arent retractable like Pearl spurs. Unfold, lock, drum. That's how it should be. Not insert spur into slot and fiddle with angle for 15 minutes.

Square rubber feet. This is just being nitpicky, but stands should have round feet. When I unfold a stand, the feet should be fully on the floor, not balancing on the corners of the feet. Example:

20221123_064650.jpg

This is a Yamaha stand. If the tripod is opened more or less than shown, the feet aren't flat on the floor. Spherical feet fix this.

Some companies do have rounded rubber feet. Gibraltar is one.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
The humble Acrolite. Looks underwhelming. Sounds great!
(Except the black galaxy finish which is quite nice)

Deep drums. They sound good though.

Monster kits à la Bozzio. Just over the top and not my cup of tea. (Not to be confused with merely big which is fine)

River19

SQ2 Tribal finishes. As I have mentioned it is like painting flames on a Ferrari 250 GTO.......

80's Ludwig lugs.......woof.

Acrolites.......after having an entire closet of those things topple over on me in my elementary school days I just cringe a little when I see them.

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
SQ2 Tribal finishes. As I have mentioned it is like painting flames on a Ferrari 250 GTO.......

80's Ludwig lugs.......woof.

Acrolites.......after having an entire closet of those things topple over on me in my elementary school days I just cringe a little when I see them.
That is my laugh to start the day..i can see that in my minds eye as well as hear the crashing sounds with you backing up thinking whoa!. Funny! 😃.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I can't think of anything that makes me go, oh, how awful, but it sounds wonderful.

Other than in the mid-late '90s, DW went through a phase where they were trying to come up with the ugliest wraps (er, finishes) ever. Every few months they'd outdo themselves with an even uglier color.

One year their booth at NAMM featured a drum set in a cow finish. For a top-of-line drum set commanding top dollar, it was pretty hideous. But even then, it wasn't the worst finish they released around that time.

I had an 80s Tama Swingstar that was totally mint and I paid 80$ CAD for, sounded awesome but never liked chrome look so I wrapped it with a tortoise pickguard material, it’s tricky to wrap a shell that you has no wrap to remove but it can be done.A19C7842-8743-4964-A228-D6805A2B0E3D.jpeg