Drum Gear Photography

I always used to make the band stop when we'd pass a really cool spot so I could snag a pic or two when I first got my kit.

I'll be doing it again with the new Gretsch haha - but I'm waiting for the bass drum head art to finish up.

Attachments

• rsz_img_2500.jpg
    rsz_img_2500.jpg
    959.3 KB · Views: 42
I always used to make the band stop when we'd pass a really cool spot so I could snag a pic or two when I first got my kit.

I'll be doing it again with the new Gretsch haha - but I'm waiting for the bass drum head art to finish up.

For good reason, that background is epic :eek: What's the new Gretsch?

For those who are taking several shots before they have a keeper or anyone who think they need the latest expensive gear...
Consider these two points:

1) “Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop.” – Ansel Adams

2) National Geographic has filled thousands of pages over the years with incredible photos taken by photographers using equipment that's inferior to most of ours. What makes those shots stand out is that the shooters all have a well-developed eye and really good technique.
If not convinced, go look at some copies laying around from 10-20 years ago.
All of it shot on what are now considered to be outdated models. There's some amazing stuff shot on 5Mp and 10MP DX bodies, proving the camera isn't anywhere near as important as a good eye and polished technique.

I wish I had more time to dedicate to studying the art of photography, alas the drum room keeps calling my name. Music is such a jealous woman at times...

Last edited:
For those who are taking several shots before they have a keeper or anyone who think they need the latest expensive gear...

1) “Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop.” – Ansel Adams

2) National Geographic has filled thousands of pages over the years with incredible photos taken by photographers using equipment that's inferior to most of ours. What makes those shots stand out is that the shooters all have a well-developed eye and really good technique.
All of it shot on what are now considered to be outdated models. There's some amazing stuff shot on 5Mp and 10MP DX bodies, proving the camera isn't anywhere near as important as a good eye and polished technique.
I think it's my shaky hands more than my camera or my eye. :confused:

I wish I had more time to dedicate to studying the art of photography, alas the drum room keeps calling my name. Music is such a jealous woman at times...

This is really interesting and something I often think about, the topic of skill and equipment in general. I agree, and I've not taken an interest in any of this to then go and make sure I've got the most up to date equipment and technology. As this is only something I merely like to tie in to all my time spent around musical equipment, I'm only searching for a dedicated camera to capture it all. The subjects, surroundings and your own skill will do pretty much all of the work as you said.

Also I have to say I'm thankful for everyone's comments and photos so far, it's lovely to always share common interests and thoughts on this forum :)

Natural light for me. (y)
While natural light can be beautiful, it’s also fickle. Available light is the next choice and includes lamps, candles and the moon. My old studio had a large, north-facing 15’x15’ window that I covered with a sheer white material. It was great for that “northern light” look.

58D70F67-BDB8-4FC1-B8C6-CFD3B683FAF9.jpeg

When I moved to a new location, the windows were 4’x4’, west facing and, during a sunset, provides a nice look with my kit’s glitter coat.

C781D5A3-6F3C-4587-8828-648594A53FBC.jpeg

On the east side of the house, the sunrise always surprises me in the bedroom (cell phone pic).

D8A4AE87-F10B-4FDF-985B-4B91E3B37DF1.jpeg

Look at that glorious light outside the window on the snowy landscape and trees!
I know... who would possibly leave a toasty bed on a cold dark morning to go stand out in the snow with a tripod waiting for the sun to come up??
cough, cough

...who would possibly leave a toasty bed on a cold dark morning to go stand out in the snow with a tripod...
Me. Because I’d never seen hoar frost in such abundant form. (Hoar frost is made when it’s foggy and the air temperature drops below freezing, causing the moisture to freeze & crystallize on everything.)

C76DC095-7CFB-4BC5-81E6-505A66F30268.jpeg

E742ECB3-B6F0-4940-9A0E-E1782E4BF640.jpeg

8E6B1923-DC52-4085-9205-64BD2A185745.jpeg

Last edited:
Back