Drum Gear Photography

bananers

My daughter took a picture of our Beagle dog Blue with a I phone 4 old I phone. Best picture ever. I took one of my daughter years ago that won a contest and made it into a photo book with a junk camera. If you can't capture a good picture today with this new technology you might want to regroup.
Well exactly, I nearly went for a Huawei 2 years ago because the photo technology was great, but opted for Samsung because it was what I knew, and I didn't so much care about photos then. Still not disappointed, as all the photos I've posted have been from this phone, and I still can't believe the outcome of these ones. IMG_20190913_193114_580.jpg IMG_20191023_115150_613.jpgIMG_20190913_193114_590.jpg

cbphoto

Gold Member
Hell, if I could figure a way to trigger my strobes with an iPhone, I’d sell all my camera gear!
Well, for the price of some fine drum gear, the Canon Speedlight transmitter ST-E3-RT, plus up to fifteen speedlights, and the Canon app will give you off-camera control.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Well, for the price of some fine drum gear, the Canon Speedlight transmitter ST-E3-RT, plus up to fifteen speedlights, and the Canon app will give you off-camera control.

I’ve been doing stuff like this for 15 years now without Canons help 😉

Yamaha Rider

No, I'm not a lens gear enthusiast. I have a pair of Minolta binoculars that I bought about 20 years ago. The markings on it say 12 x 50 and also 5.5 degrees whatever that means. It's good enough for my purposes but I can imagine a powerful pair would be even cooler.
I think that's about the upper limit for binocs - the more powerful they are the more probs you get with holding steady.

Yamaha Rider

No problem. Like Bo Eder said, off-camera flash, or off-camera continuous lighting (or even bouncing an on-camera flash) is key to good photos.
I certainly can't claim to be any sort of expert in photography whatsoever. My ex GF is the one who talked me into that photo-shoot of my drums and she was a professional photographer. I put the photo up (somewhat reluctantly) to show that lighting and composition are more important than expensive equipment. Similar to how a good drummer can make a cheap drum set sound good, a good photographer can take good photos with a cheap camera. Obviously a high-end or even a prosumer camera will net even better results.

If you plan to do video as well as stills, I would recommend a continuous lighting setup as opposed to strobes since it can be used for both.
Don't forget the best light of all: natural.

J-W

About 25 years ago I was hired to photograph percussion instruments for the book Rhythm & Beauty, The Art of Percussion. I thought I’d be getting full kits of Ludwig, Sonor, etc. in my studio. It was everything but. Here are a few examples (shot with film, no Photoshop):

Absolutely beautiful work, Chris. (y)

bananers

About 25 years ago I was hired to photograph percussion instruments for the book Rhythm & Beauty, The Art of Percussion. I thought I’d be getting full kits of Ludwig, Sonor, etc. in my studio. It was everything but. Here are a few examples (shot with film, no Photoshop):

View attachment 94327View attachment 94328View attachment 94329View attachment 94331View attachment 94332View attachment 94333View attachment 94334View attachment 94337View attachment 94338View attachment 94339
Those, are utterly stunning Chris! 😍😍😍 Really unique, I suppose it was a good thing you weren't met with your expectations, something unusual to capture 😁

I do believe that the Tama Star series are the finest production drums made. Of course Sonor is up there too, but these Tama are something else.
That Tama Star is one of the warmest sounding kits I've ever had the chance to play - it's incredible and I've never heard a bad Tama. They always sound full and lively, yet very controlled. Tama and Sonor are my absolute favourites because I've never had a bad experience with either, and the effort and detail that go into those kits without being over-engineered is something. Beautiful drums!

bananers

rsz_sabian_complex.jpg

Thought this one was worth sharing today. The lighting in this particular room was hitting off the hammering beautifully so definitely wanted to share! This is how it was as per the room, only things I've touched up slightly is blurring edges to bring the focus to the hats. Had to downsize the image slightly to share it on here but this is a perfect example of "good lighting". 😁

The more I look at this photo the more I think I could have taken a better one but I'm not sure. 🤨