Drum Gear Photography

bananers

Hey everyone, I work in a drum shop and sometimes I take photos of our kits for our social medias etc. I really am in awe at a lot of these beautifully stunning kits and some photos stand out more than others (whilst never fully doing them justice!) and I just wanted to start a thread to share them. Not a professional by any stretch of the imagination, I just like to appreciate 😊

Equally I'd love to see other lovely photos of drums that anyone else has taken that makes you go 'Ooh'.

I'm sorry if there's ever been a similar thread but hopefully you like some of my photos, I've been waiting for a while before making a thread like this so any feedback on them is welcome! All taken by me.

These are just a few of my favourites...IMG_20200713_160019_170.jpgIMG_20191023_115150_613.jpgIMG_20190913_193114_590.jpgIMG_20190619_111744_513.jpgIMG_20190910_105014_449-min.jpg
IMG_20190315_173131_651.jpg

bananers

Gorgeous Masters!!! Hoping to get a semi decent camera some point this year to really keep all my drum photos in one place. My "Gear Acquisition" list is building horribly 😫

bananers

Good photos are easy to get. A decent camera and an off-camera flash is really all you need. Emphasis on off-camera flash. That’s actually more important than the camera.
Ahhh, that's a good point. Something to read up on for me. Anything you'd recommend?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Ahhh, that's a good point. Something to read up on for me. Anything you'd recommend?
If you already a DSLR type camera, you just need any flash that you can trigger while it’s not mounted on the camera. Some cameras can wirelessly trigger their same brand flashes, or you may need a trigger system to trigger anybody’s flash. And it can be done really cheaply these days. Go to Amazon and look at the Cowboy Studio store. They sell all that stuff to trigger lights cheaply.

Ransan

Though this is my kit, I must confess, I refer to this quality pic often, and can make a woodshed session in my own head. In time I have taken so many images of this view and this one came out the best. Some too far and some way too close...
By the way, does anyone else’s “mind” play on a kit with drum images shown from atop I.e. cockpit or birds eye?
72D86FB1-3537-4B59-91A5-D651B1E1534B.jpeg

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Take a picture with your phone with the flash on. You get that “deer in the headlights” look, or worse, red eyes because the light goes straight to the back of the eyes and reflects the color. Not pretty. If you want pretty, this was done with one big flash off to the side:

View attachment 94140View attachment 94141View attachment 94142
Okay got it, thank you.

She doesn't look too comfy behind the drums. She has a nice, ahem, drywall saw.

Darth Vater

bananers

If you already a DSLR type camera, you just need any flash that you can trigger while it’s not mounted on the camera. Some cameras can wirelessly trigger their same brand flashes, or you may need a trigger system to trigger anybody’s flash. And it can be done really cheaply these days. Go to Amazon and look at the Cowboy Studio store. They sell all that stuff to trigger lights cheaply.
Alright, thanks a lot for the recommendations :) I'll start checking that out. Cheers Bo!

I use a flashlight and paint the scene with light. Lotsa Photoshop work in post. I prefer to show a luminous quality, if possible. Someday I hope to make a still life of each of my snare drums.

View attachment 94149

View attachment 94150

View attachment 94151

View attachment 94152
WOW! Your photos are incredible CB, really beautiful 😍

Frosticles

Silver Member
Good photos are easy to get. A decent camera and an off-camera flash is really all you need. Emphasis on off-camera flash. That’s actually more important than the camera.
I use off camera flash a lot. Use remote triggers. The pic of my Masters kit is without flash though & shot in our kitchen. :oops:

Yamaha Rider

Love the wrap on that Sonor.
(The oversized and offset tom lugs jar a little though.)