Drum Gear Likes, my opinion

AndyMC

Just getting the ying to Sticks of Furys' yang going here. This is drum gear I really like, has no bearing on what you like, just an opinion.

Ludwig metal snares - acro, supra, black beauty. There is just something about these, many companies have great drums, but Ludwigs just sing a little more sweetly to me.

Vintage Zildjian cymbals- A's, K's both are great and the older ones have so much more character, I've seen plenty I couldn't use but never one I didn't like.

Drumheads without rings/dots - I like remo, evans, and aquarian, but only single or double ply heads. I can get more tone out of them and if I need a controlled sound I throw a moongel on. I do like the bass drumheads with muffling though, they just work.

Kickport- Was very skeptical when I saw this and made the guy at guitar center put it on a drum, night and day difference lower tone and more definition. On about 85% of bass drums with ports it makes it sound better, some yammies don't really like them though.

Drummerworld- Its free, its awesome, and there is more knowledge in here than most music stores, If you have a question someone's got an answer and if your sad there is always the tom angles thread.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Wow. Could you, um, stop being so positive? You're really ruining the vibe... :p

I agree 100% with what you said. Ludwig metals shells seem to shine above the rest, vintage cymbals are excellent (especially 1950s Zildjian A cymbals), non-muffled heads are vastly superior to pre-muffled heads, and kickports work well. Oh, and the nice mention of Drummerworld is accurate as well...

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Features that actually work.
Natural wood.
A snare that cracks, but still has body.
Natural wood.
Drums that open up at low dynamic.
Natural wood.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Drummerworld...
YES!!!!

There's so many Drummerworld likes

Here's a short list...

Andy, Grea, Larry, the other Larry, David, the other David, another Larry, Harry, Mary, Bon, Bo, Grunt, Anthony, Arky, Dean, Abe, BB, Duncan, Chunky, another Andy, Andrew, Martin, Uncle Ghee, Ian, Michele, Mike, Mikey, Jules, Poppy, Kyle, Phil, Bernhard, Ben, Jon, Ken, Kenny, Jessica, the other Ian... the list goes on and on :)

Yeah, I like natural wood too... especially that "cappucino" kit :)

wsabol

Gold Member
-Coated heads
-Snare drums.. especially really cracky ones. Definitely Ludwig when it comes to metal snares as well..
-Vintage drum kits
-Vintage cymbals (old K's and 50s A's ...mmmmmmmm)
-Riveted cymbals
-Steam bent drums!

I do love natural wood, but its not a must for me. I still think classic sparkle and pearl wrap kits are gorgeous like my avatar: a Radio King set 13-16-24 in WMP, absolutely lovely.

and While I love is elegance of designing every aspect of a drum toward one specific goal, I also really enjoy paradoxical designs and odd pairings. For example, the daxdad (12x22 bass drum).. tuning a 16" snare drums way way up.. tuning small snares way down.. mix-matched cymbals.. etc

Last edited:

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Love natural wood but I am partial to Burgundy sparkle,vintage Slingerland white marine pearl(yes there is a difference),vintage 60's oyster blue or black pearl.

The sound of vintage Ludwig,Slingerland,Rogers,Gretsch and Camco.

Ludwig snares.

Vintage 60's A and K Zildjians and Paiste 602 and giant beats,and a few 2002's

That Guru drums actually deliver as promised,when most others just make empty promises.

That this site is free,though I would contribute if need be

That there are pro drummers here that are helpful and insightful,and talk to you and not at you.

Lots of other stuff:)

Steve B.......Merry Christmas crew.Hope Santa brings that new toy you wanted:)

Last edited:

larryz

Platinum Member
YES!!!!

There's so many Drummerworld likes

Here's a short list...

Andy, Grea, Larry, the other Larry, David, the other David, another Larry, Harry, Mary, Bon, Bo, Grunt, Anthony, Arky, Dean, Abe, BB, Duncan, Chunky, another Andy, Andrew, Martin, Uncle Ghee, Ian, Michele, Mike, Mikey, Jules, Poppy, Kyle, Phil, Bernhard, Ben, Jon, Ken, Kenny, Jessica, the other Ian... the list goes on and on :)

Yeah, I like natural wood too... especially that "cappucino" kit :)
Henri, you're scoring points like crazy here.... We like you too, especially the art work :)

I like that drummers are the nicest musicans you'll ever meet. And vintage Ludwig anything.

alparrott

Platinum Member
The crowd getting up and dancing to your money beat. Hitting the perfect rimshot all song long. Those great moments where you stop having to focus on what you're doing, and just have an out-of-body, time-of-your-life experience. Having your wife wink at you from the front row.

opentune

Platinum Member
The silver sealer inside Gretsch drums.
60's Slingerland 3-ply with the brown milk paint (mahogany-poplar-mahogany)
Paiste Giant Beat
pre-serial# Paiste 602
Tama Superstar lugs
Yamaha hardware

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
Wow, impressive thread. Here's my list :

• The rush of playing with a good band
  • Getting the perfect snare rolls and perfect rim shots
  • Finally nailing a song you spent months on
  • Percussion
  • The patina on dark cymbals
  • Splashes. I don't care what size or how many. I want them all.
  • Meinl Byzance
  • Pro Mark Sticks
  • Sabian
  • Evans heads' durability and tone
  • DEEEEEP snares with lots of crack
  • Fast, punchy toms
  • Deep, punchy bass drums
  • My Yamaha Musashi Snare (read deep snares with lots of crack)
  • My Pearl BRX
  • Blue fades or Oyster Pearl drum finishes
  • Green or green fade drums
  • The feeling of burying a metronome and still grooving
  • The enjoyment of recording
  • The enjoyment of practicing
  • Locking in with the bass player and nodding heads like it's 1999

steadypocket

Gold Member
Wow, impressive thread. Here's my list :

• The rush of playing with a good band
  • Getting the perfect snare rolls and perfect rim shots
  • Finally nailing a song you spent months on
  • Percussion
  • The patina on dark cymbals
  • Splashes. I don't care what size or how many. I want them all.
  • Meinl Byzance
  • Pro Mark Sticks
  • Sabian
  • Evans heads' durability and tone
  • DEEEEEP snares with lots of crack
  • Fast, punchy toms
  • Deep, punchy bass drums
  • My Yamaha Musashi Snare (read deep snares with lots of crack)
  • My Pearl BRX
  • Blue fades or Oyster Pearl drum finishes
  • Green or green fade drums
  • The feeling of burying a metronome and still grooving
  • The enjoyment of recording
  • The enjoyment of practicing
  • Locking in with the bass player and nodding heads like it's 1999
Now that's a list that I'm down with.

Ian

Silver Member
My gear
Your gear, if you are happy with it
Interesting cymbals
Reliable hardware
Gregg Keplinger
Paul Mason
Ronn Dunnett
Supportive, encouraging, thought sharing forums

Swexx

I'm gonna give it a try too. Here's my love-list in drumming:

- Playing with a really good bass player

- Paiste 2oo2's

- Remo Fiberskyns

- Using ear protection while playing

- Playing to an energic "light show"

- Getting compliments from more experienced musicians after playing

- Round tip drum sticks

- Tama snare drums

- Finally nailing a beat or a drum fill that you've been practicing for a long time

- Learning from a really good teacher

- Being able to sell your old cymbals in order to get new, better ones.

B-squared

Silver Member
Vater Los Angeles 5AN
My new 1980 Acro
Tom Angles
The Best of Craigslist
Unnatural Wood

OK, the last one's a joke.

radman

Not much for me to add to the equipment already mentioned (which indeed was the original intent of the thread).

If I may go on a momentary tangent, I'll go for playing experiences a little more:

- playing acoustically at a venue with great onstage acoustics
- playing with pros (or good amateurs) that listen to each other
- "Those great moments where you stop having to focus on what you're doing, and just have an out-of-body, time-of-your-life experience." alparrot said this, but I thought it was worth repeating.
- improvising, and it working beautifully ... this is close to alparrot's previous comment
- having a player you admire - drummer or other - compliment whatever it was you just did
- playing with a sound guy that knows what he is doing (perhaps my rarest good experience ... lol)

cheers & beers,
radman

slowrocker

Silver Member
I like: good speakers
Deep kick drums
Good musicians
Nice cymbals
More floor toms
One rack tom
People who aren't negative all the time:)