Drum fills

Ikebongo

I just learned the 6 stroke roll and it’s really helped with my drum fills. I feel so much more creative and able to place it around the drum set. Are there or ‘stickings’( not sure what to call it) like the 6 stroke roll from drum fills ?

I know it’s used for triplets. But are there more for triplets and 16th notes? That are good for drum fills only.

Thanks!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Check out the Ratamacue. It too can be used for triplets: LLRLRL Yes it starts with the left if you are a righty.

In a 2/4 feel: LLR L R L
Double Rat.: LLR LLR L R L
Triple Rat.: LLR LLR LLR L R L

This is one of my favorites. I like to use the first 3 strokes in a few different iterations: LLR RLL RRL LRR (if this string of 12 has a name someone please tell me)

As far as fills, I'm of the opinion that any rudiment will work just fine. It just depends on what you are trying to do and what feels the most comfortable doing it.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
They will all work.

As for the 6-stroke roll, move it around and start on any beat. No law says it has to be played in triplets either. Nor is the any law as to where you place the accent in the sticking or the kit.

Definetly get on the single, double and tripleparadiddle as well as the para diddle diddle. To start with, you can focus your accents on the singles, but you certainly don't have to.

Merlin5

Gold Member
Double paradiddle (RLRLRR LRLRLL) as triplets:

1+a_2+a_3+a_4+a
RLR_LRR_ LRL_RLL

Paradiddle diddle (RLRRLL) as triplets:

1+a 2+a
RLR_RLL, always starts back on same hand (R).

Practise these leading on both hands.