Drum equipment price increases 2014 to 2024

You should see what the margins are- it's not pretty. There's quite the needle to thread in order to ensure a balance of margins for manufacturer, distributor, and retailer while still making the products realistically affordable. I've read a lot of commentary here and across the web where drummers think these companies have used inflation and pandemic-era supply chain issues as cover for some sort of cash grab but the cost of goods and manufacturing have skyrocketed. We're going to continue to see more consolidation and shortening of the sales stream (where major manufacturers handle distribution themselves and/or strengthen their direct-to-consumer sales channels) in order to keep brands alive.

There's never been a better (or more dire) time for companies to adopt lean manufacturing to minimize waste in order to help provide a buffer for aspects that are out of their control. It's amazing how much companies waste without even thinking about it. When you go through the kaizan review process and expose every step of a process you tend to discover significant opportunities for increased efficiencies.

Retailers have been struggling to maintain their value in the age of online orders and quick shipping. They can often benefit from a lean approach as well. From a consumer standpoint, if you want drum shops to still exist in 10 years, make sure you shop there and don't raking them over the coals with price matching online retailers. Profit margin per square foot is pretty rough when it comes to drums and percussion (think how many guitars you can fit into the space of a drum set) so brick and mortar drum shops have always faced an uphill battle.
Teacher here. My pay has increased about 10% in the time between 2014 and 2024. Want to talk about tight margins….try being a teacher.

Not saying this is true in the world of drums, but many companies have recorded record profits over the last few years. The prices just keep climbing though. This is where people get the idea that is a cash grab going on.

Yeah, I have no idea where consumers would get the idea that there might be a cash grab going on

Again, I don’t think it is necessarily true in the world of drums, but I certainly understand why some would believe there is a cash grab going among some on in the industry. Are there any documents online that might give us some insight as to how these drum companies are doing financially?

Some guys are making $100.00 or $200.00 playing on a weekend night when that's what was made twenty years ago.

As far as price increases over a decade: Musical instruments are a strange animal in the world of personal purchases. People can buy them new or used to do the job. Also, these same tools that Pros use, so will part time locals( ex: Nick Mason played arenas with Pink Floyd using Paiste cymbals- I watched a drummer using Paiste Sigs. at a wedding in a VFW hall).

On the flip side- A Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic will take you down the very same road at the same speed as a Rolls Royce will but at a fraction of the cost.

Market forces, Unfettered Capitalism, Free Choice!
The beat goes on...

Last edited:
Not saying this is true in the world of drums, but many companies have recorded record profits over the last few years. The prices just keep climbing though. This is where people get the idea that is a cash grab going on.
Have many music instrument companies recorded record profits?
The big money is clearly in tech and social media. Google, Meta, Tik-Tok are all making huge profits, as are banks and energy companies.

The big money is clearly in tech and social media. Google, Meta, Tik-Tok are all making huge profits, as are banks and energy companies.
Yeah, that’s my question. These companies aren’t public so we don’t know. As indicated in the articles I posted, there are enough companies gouging the public that all companies are assumed to be gouging at this point.

Thi
This was the question I asked in my post “Are there any documents online that might give us some insight as to how these drum companies are doing financially?”

It’s not a rhetorical question. I really would like to know.

You can't throw a blanket over the entire world of business and label it 'gouging'.
It is quite clear that traditional business has struggled over the past 15 years post the global financial crisis, while tech and online has soared ahead. The music scene is much poorer since piracy and streaming, there isn't a lot of money sloshing around.

Teacher here. My pay has increased about 10% in the time between 2014 and 2024. Want to talk about tight margins….try being a teacher.

Yeah, I have no idea where consumers would get the idea that there might be a cash grab going on

Again, I don’t think it is necessarily true in the world of drums, but I certainly understand why some would believe there is a cash grab going among some on in the industry. Are there any documents online that might give us some insight as to how these drum companies are doing financially?
Both of my parents were teachers for over 40 years. Their pay relative to inflation basically went down over their careers even as they moved up in their roles. Teaching is a hard job and it's pretty obvious to see why there is a massive shortage of them.

A lot of jobs that are vocational have been under paid for years. Nurses and care workers are the same.
No one has seen such a slump in income like the average professional musician.
I am earning less now for the same work*, than I was in 1987.
*Yes, I know I'm not the hottest young drummer. I'm just comparing the 'going rate' for a three hour studio session in 1987 compared to what people can achieve now. Also, the gig rate for an 80's pro backing musician, compared to what they are paid now. Basically both have been static for 30 years, or gone down.

In Europe, the prices have gone crazy, even buying a basic clamp or hihat tilter and you come across crazy prices.
In 2019 I bought an original Tama diecast hoop for my snare for 60 EUR in the official Meinl shop.

Now, in 2024, just 5 years later, the same diecast hoop costs 140 EUR.

"Private" or 'business'?
I guess business jets have a function: if Elon Musk can't justify his, can anyone?
I've heard all his wealth is put back into his businesses - if they crash it's all gone.

What I find concerning is some of those companies already make huge profits and can 'coerce' low taxes or certain privileges by threatening to leave the country. NL also is guilty of giving into that.

Last edited:
You can't throw a blanket over the entire world of business and label it 'gouging'.
It is quite clear that traditional business has struggled over the past 15 years post the global financial crisis, while tech and online has soared ahead. The music scene is much poorer since piracy and streaming, there isn't a lot of money sloshing around

It is quite clear that traditional business has struggled over the past 15 years post the global financial crisis, while tech and online has soared ahead. The music scene is much poorer since piracy and streaming, there isn't a lot of money sloshing around.
Sorry, but if enough companies gouge, people are automatically going to assume that all or nearly all companies do- especially when prices are outpacing salaries, raises, etc.. You can hate on it, but I’m just the messenger

For what it is worth here is price of an item that I bought and returned a while back.
Pearl Sensitone Heritage Steel Alloy Snare Drum - 5 x 14-inch - Polished
September 2023 $239.00
June 2024 $279.99

Some data according to statista. The worldwide revenue for percussion instrument sales is steady and there is no decline. https://www.statista.com/outlook/cmo/toys-hobby/musical-instruments/percussion-instruments/worldwide
"The Percussion Instruments market worldwide is expected to generate a revenue of US$2bn in 2024.
It is projected to grow at an annual rate of 2.78% (CAGR 2024-2028)."

1718647662791.png

Some data according to statista. The worldwide revenue for percussion instrument sales is steady and there is no decline. https://www.statista.com/outlook/cmo/toys-hobby/musical-instruments/percussion-instruments/worldwide
"The Percussion Instruments market worldwide is expected to generate a revenue of US$2bn in 2024.
It is projected to grow at an annual rate of 2.78% (CAGR 2024-2028)."

Percussion sales as a whole, inclusive of mallet percussion, marching percussion, and electronic percussion, may be steady but margins continue to decrease and there's definitely fear of raising prices and risking marketshare. I mention electronics in addition to the other two sub-categories because there has been a rise in these categories while acoustic drum sales have been in decline since 2008. I'm also not sure I trust Statista's anticipated growth trend given how reliant it is on the few years of growth after a major dip thanks to COVID in 2020. This is pure quantitative analysis and lacks the qualitative industry expertise and general context to make an accurate projection in my opinion.

if 2014 prices are now 2024 prices , which they are . Then a decline is inevitable. the end!. Sooo, if one is unwilling today to pay more for the level that you are used to then you consider going down the scale to a lesser version which is of course more than it used to be..more profit for the seller in the lesser version. Yes it's Shrinkflation. that's the whole point.. Market Manipulation.

Last edited:
Percussion sales as a whole, inclusive of mallet percussion, marching percussion, and electronic percussion, may be steady but margins continue to decrease and there's definitely fear of raising prices and risking marketshare. I mention electronics in addition to the other two sub-categories because there has been a rise in these categories while acoustic drum sales have been in decline since 2008. I'm also not sure I trust Statista's anticipated growth trend given how reliant it is on the few years of growth after a major dip thanks to COVID in 2020. This is pure quantitative analysis and lacks the qualitative industry expertise and general context to make an accurate projection in my opinion.
Is there some empirical stats that show really that acoustic drum sales have been in decline since 2008?

Back