Drum discoveries

Johnny2u2

So I’m back to playing drums after a 20 year hiatus. And basically having to re learn a lot of what I’ve forgotten. I was practicing today and was pissed off and found quite by accident, my shitty cheap 5 piece actually sounds better than it ever has and I was wondering if anyone else has come to the conclusion that:
The shittier the drum set, the harder ya gotta hit them…
Is this a drum fact or an over active imagination?

JimmyM

Platinum Member
Hard call to make since it does seem like some woods are quieter than others. But there’s a lot of other factors in play besides wood. Heads, tunings, construction, favorite music styles…all of it adds up and makes it hard to come to a conclusion such as whether hitting harder makes a cheap set sound better. You might have a different idea tomorrow, too. So definitely maybe you’re right. Or wrong ;).

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
I think I know what you mean. I have a 13" Pearl Midtown floor tom that sounds "better" the harder you hit it. Not hammer it mind you, a proper strike, just more velocity. It still must be accurately placed and executed, not ham fisted like a gorilla.

The drum doesnt actually sound better, but it opens up and gets this hugeness about it. The amount of full this particular floor tom has is outstanding. The drum in question is made of poplar.

I've not found this to the same degree with any of my other drums. And I totally agree with @Al Strange that you cant beat a bad kit good.

Johnny2u2

Hard call to make since it does seem like some woods are quieter than others. But there’s a lot of other factors in play besides wood. Heads, tunings, construction, favorite music styles…all of it adds up and makes it hard to come to a conclusion such as whether hitting harder makes a cheap set sound better. You might have a different idea tomorrow, too. So definitely maybe you’re right. Or wrong ;).
Sounds like the Billy Joel song,”You maybe wrong maybe right”

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Playing drums with authority naturally sounds better, but I’ve never personally found you can beat a bad kit good?:unsure::)(y)
Agreed.
Neil Peart once talked about he hits his drums & cymbals with purpose and that fast fills don't translate as well musically as one that is slower with intent.
I think hitting cheap kits harder vs. pricey kits lighter doesn't really matter. You can tune both the same & to the untrained ear (99% of your audience) they'll both sound the same.