Drum Dial.. why bother?

mikel

Platinum Member
The Drum Dial is an utterly useless device to tune drums with. To actually tune with it would mean that an equal tension reading at each lug equates to the same pitch at each lug and this simply isn't the case. If you need help tuning, get a Tunebot. Otherwise, keep practicing until you can tune by ear. The Drum Dial's only use is to tell you what tension a head is at for future reference once you have your drums where you like them.
Two things. It patently isnt "Utterly useless" or thousands of drummers would not use one. If you can get the sound you like tuning by ear, then great, but dont knock others for how they get the sound they want.

Secondly, If the tension on the head is the same at each lug and your drum has not got the same pitch at each lug, then either your head is shot, the bearing edge is poor or the hoop is not flat. Not the fault of the DD.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
So far I've had this paper on my head all weekend, and it's not doing any tricks. Maybe I should roll it like a cone shape?
Watso, all kidding aside, maybe you should get a whole bunch of papers, roll them up into the shape of a hard wooden club, and then proceed to beat yourself about the head with it.

What a dingus! Which head are you talking about? I meant it to be the head of your beer Einstein.

You're like dingus squared. You're like a dingus-plex. Omni dingus. Uber dingus.

The Mother of all Dingi.

G

Ghostnote

Two things. It patently isnt "Utterly useless" or thousands of drummers would not use one. If you can get the sound you like tuning by ear, then great, but dont knock others for how they get the sound they want.

Secondly, If the tension on the head is the same at each lug and your drum has not got the same pitch at each lug, then either your head is shot, the bearing edge is poor or the hoop is not flat. Not the fault of the DD.
Who was knocking anyone? I was just giving my honest opinion of the Drum Dial based on my own personal experience. Touchy, touchy...

Zero Mercury Drummer

People might not believe it. But I bought one and tried and it and for the most part my tension was very close to spot-on already. Surprised me. I have been tuning drums for 30 years so I was better at it than I thought.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
What ever works.

I generally go by ear, but when I change heads I use a drum tuning app to save time. I know what pitches are my general starting point, so.. Usually no help needed after that, but I can easily see different tools being handy in certain situations.

If it helps someone do the job and feel good about it.

I can tune my guitar by ear, but it's not always a professional thing to do on stage.

G

Ghostnote

What. You state your personal opinion as fact, but I am touchy? Yea, right.
You sound (read) pretty touchy. Just relax man. Sorry, from now on I will try to divine you're opinion before posting so as not to offend your delicate sensibilities. If you get your feathers ruffled just because someone doesn't happen to like a piece of gear that you apparently do, well then.....you're kinda touchy. One's ego or pride shouldn't be wrapped so tightly around their opinions, ideas, or what gear they happen to use IMHO. I play a Ludwig kit. Do you think I would get upset if someone posted that they thought Ludwig drums were garbage? Nope. Wouldn't bother me a bit. To each his own- including the drum dial. If it works for you, then great. It just doesn't happen to work for me and I don't need one anyway. Just because I don't happen to like the thing doesn't mean I'm knocking anyone who finds it useful. You inferred that.

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
When I began learning how to tune my drums, I borrowed a drum dial from a friend of mine (he's a guitar player, though). It was truly a great teaching aide during the learning process. So great in fact, that after I had to return the drum dial to my friend (after about one year), I was forced to do the tuning without it. The first time I attempted this, things went pretty well, and since that day I have no problem tuning at all.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
When I began learning how to tune my drums, I borrowed a drum dial from a friend of mine (he's a guitar player, though). It was truly a great teaching aide during the learning process. So great in fact, that after I had to return the drum dial to my friend (after about one year), I was forced to do the tuning without it. The first time I attempted this, things went pretty well, and since that day I have no problem tuning at all.
This mirrors my experience with it too. While I've spent many a frustrating hour with the DD trying to figure out why one lug would always be real loose, it was NOT all for naught. I don't mind getting frustrated if in the end, I'm better off. Now, I hardly need the DD. It took me from a HS degree in tuning to a Masters. Not without frustration though. In the end, my understanding of the forces at work is on a whole other level.