Drum Dial Settings For Snare Tuning

Mikejkeil

The best tuning results I've had for my snare drums was just last week; first time ever using a ruler along the snare-side bearing edge to keep the hoop perfectly level as I tighten up the lugs.
Thanks for sharing. I just switched my Pearl Export snare out last week with Evans Genera HD batter and Snare 300. Batter at about 78 and reso at about 75. I’ve got that great snare pop yet an overtone I cannot tape or gel out. Seeing here most resos should be tighter Than the batter ?

Last edited:

bud7h4

Silver Member
Thanks for sharing. I just switched my Pearl Export snare out last week with Evans Genera HD batter and Snare 300. Batter at about 78 and redo at bout 75. I’ve got that great snare pop yet and overtone I cannot tape or gel out. Seeing here most reals should be tighter Than the batter ?
I've never used a drum dial so I don't know what the values should look like, but the bottom head should be noticeably tighter than the batter on a snare. Regarding he unpleasant overtone, it could be caused by many things. Maybe one or both heads simply not within the ideal range of tuning for the drum. I have a Pearl piccolo that sounds terrible (low ringing) with a low to medium bottom head tension but sounds beautiful when the tension is increased.

Last edited:

bongoman

I use a drum dial to get my setup started, then adjust the tuning to taste for the specific drum and heads. I start with 87 batter and 80 reso, and it usually sounds good there. That’s for a standard single ply coated batter and thin reso. Whenever I experiment tuning up and down over a few days, and finally settle on the “just right” tuning, surprisingly often it turns out I landed back on 87 over 80. The rest of the time, the batter might be lower, like 85, or the reso might be higher, like 82. Not a big difference either way.

Note that when people say tune the reso higher than the batter, the dial number of the reso will still be lower! That’s because the different head thickness means the heads will be at different pitches even when they read the same tension on the dial.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
Zombie thread, but I'll jump in. Since the DrumDial measures tympanic pressure, the higher reading for the batter head may not necessarily indicate a higher pitch than the reso head. Head thickness affects the reading. In other words, a thicker head at a given pitch may give a higher reading than a thin head at that same pitch.

Always important when using a drumdial - it doesn't measure pitch, at all.
Yeah that makes sense. The Tune bot is vastly superior having used both. Whatever works.

felonious69

New, but...
For toms I have 10, 12 and 16 floor.
I used recommended tuning and then wanted a little lower so I went about 1/4 turn on the lugs backed off.
Sounds okay.
For both snares I went high recommended on batter and low recommended on the snare side.
14 x 5.5
12 x 6
For a newbie I guess they sound good.

Mikejkeil

I want to thank all of those that responded here. Being a new drummer tune by ear out of the gate is a bit hit or miss. I used a combo of all of the recommendations here and established a baseline. Then I played and found my high Tom didn’t have that pop I expected. Tuned by ear then measured and adjust the rest of the toms to match the up down between toms. As for the snare I explicitly followed the tuning options here and have that snap without any overtones. Thanks to all for supporting our community with your advice and experience.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I want to thank all of those that responded here. Being a new drummer tune by ear out of the gate is a bit hit or miss. I used a combo of all of the recommendations here and established a baseline. Then I played and found my high Tom didn’t have that pop I expected. Tuned by ear then measured and adjust the rest of the toms to match the up down between toms. As for the snare I explicitly followed the tuning options here and have that snap without any overtones. Thanks to all for supporting our community with your advice and experience.
Very good! Glad you're getting some results you like.