Drum Dial Question

double bass man

Where to place the drum dial on the snare drum?

a) In the center? Near the rim?
b) What is the 'ballpark' number on the dial for batter and snare head?
c) Varies for different types of head?

In my case the batter head is a Remo Vintage Ambassador Coated 14"--and the snare head is a an Evans Hazy 300 Snare Side 14" Head. Any experience of these two on the drum dial? Would the readings be different on a 12" head?

double bass man

Thanks for the reply dboomer. I have a drum dial--had one for years to tune my banjo heads as per 1" from the rim. New to the snare drum-hence question. Came across a post on the web where the drummer placed his drum dial in the middle of the head.

Polska

When I've used mine, after I go around the lugs and get the same reading, if I put it in the center of the drum (if I'm not mistaken) it will read roughly the same number. Also, I wanna say the "default" number is 75 for toms, 80-85 for snares. I just got mine this summer, used it and haven't needed to bring it out again so I'm a little fuzzy on the details. Love the DD !

CompactDrums

Silver Member
There's a folded up piece of paper between the foam and the side of the box. It has all the tensions for various sizes and heads.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
There's a folded up piece of paper between the foam and the side of the box. It has all the tensions for various sizes and heads.
Here y'all go!

Yes, you should have a little spacer in there. You take measurements on the drum head about an inch from each tuning lug.

I feel like I need to say that a DD is an EXCELLENT starting point in tuning, but if making slight adjustments after you use it makes the drum sound better to you, then by all means, trust your ear. The DD is a terrific guide, but not and end-all, be-all.

double bass man

Being a newbe to the snare drum I have read there is Low tension / Medium tension / High tension for the batter head. Using the drum dial can you give me ballpark readings for the three tensions?--as at my stage of the game I would not know the difference---'use ones ear?' How low is low and how high would be high? What sounds good to me?