Drum Depths

Darth Vater

I have a set of each. Prolite has the standard sizes with thin maple shells and re-rings. Loads of tone and plenty of sustain. Saturn V exotic are 1" less depth on rack toms and 2" less on floor toms. Medium maple/walnut shells no re-rings. Substantial tone, a little less sustain but a lower fundamental what with the inner walnut plies. Both have 22" kicks. Prolite 17.5 depth and Saturn 18". Both kits are different enough to be entertaining. I agree with MusiQmaN in that I agree that wood and shell layup have as much of a role as depth does. It's good to try drums out in person if you can. Those Velvetone kits are really nice. I hope you kept it.

Last edited:

OutlawX

Hello everybody,

Back in 2012, I bought a Mapex Black Panther Velvetone kit. At the time, most of the standard configurations for most companies was 10"x8", 12"x9", 16"x16" and 22"x19" BD.

Nowadays, it seems standard configurations include toms that are shallower (10"x7" & 12"x8") and 16" depth bass drums.

Anyone have any experience with both and can elaborate on the differences in depths?
Yeah for some reason it doesn't get better and only gets worse .companies make the ugliest drum sets instead of using cool black front bass drum heads videos 1949 Elvis Presley white and even more pathetic is like you just said? 12x8 14x10 Rack toms.? The best sound in ? drums are either Even Size rack toms. 10x10 12x12. Etc etc. Or 10x8 12x10 14x12. Are awesome.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200522-032445.png
    Screenshot_20200522-032445.png
    712.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20200523-150117.png
    Screenshot_20200523-150117.png
    899 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20200523-130345.png
    Screenshot_20200523-130345.png
    672.3 KB · Views: 5

OutlawX

I have a set of each. Prolite has the standard sizes with thin maple shells and re-rings. Loads of tone and plenty of sustain. Saturn V exotic are 1" less depth on rack toms and 2" less on floor toms. Medium maple/walnut shells no re-rings. Substantial tone, a little less sustain but a lower fundamental what with the inner walnut plies. Both have 22" kicks. Prolite 17.5 depth and Saturn 18". Both kits are different enough to be entertaining. I agree with MusiQmaN in that I agree that wood and shell layup have as much of a role as depth does. It's good to try drums out in person if you can. Those Velvetone kits are really nice. I hope you kept it.
Yeah that would sound awesome. I remember I ordered a Tama STARCLASSIC No Reinforcement rings.

Scottie15

Thank you for the additional insight. I know Prolites are some of the highest quality kits you can get. Yea, I didn't think a 1" difference in depth would make that much of a difference but I thought it was worth asking other folks who have experience with it. I'm sure shell thickness also has a big difference on everything.

I sold my Rockstar Customs and kept the Mapex Velvetones. I love em, but the only thing I don't like is the fact that the bearing edges are super sharp and at the outermost plus of the shell. So there's a lot of attack and short sustain. Lots of "flap". I kinda wished the edges were more rounded.

I'm keeping them, but I am waiting fir delivery of my Star Walnut.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I like a long tom note so I feel deeper depths on 10" and smaller toms...like a 10 x 9 makes for a better 10" tom tone. A 10" tom, by virtue of it's small diameter, loses sustain a lot quicker than a 12, so extra depth allows a little bit longer of an afterglow. It's not a huge difference, but I like all I can get. The same would apply to 8" toms as well.

Darth Vater

Thank you for the additional insight. I know Prolites are some of the highest quality kits you can get. Yea, I didn't think a 1" difference in depth would make that much of a difference but I thought it was worth asking other folks who have experience with it. I'm sure shell thickness also has a big difference on everything.

I sold my Rockstar Customs and kept the Mapex Velvetones. I love em, but the only thing I don't like is the fact that the bearing edges are super sharp and at the outermost plus of the shell. So there's a lot of attack and short sustain. Lots of "flap". I kinda wished the edges were more rounded.

I'm keeping them, but I am waiting fir delivery of my Star Walnut.
You could get the bearing edges re done. Just sayin'. I wanna see pics of the Star Walnuts when you get them. If you'd be so kind of course. ;)

dboomer

I like a long tom note so I feel deeper depths on 10" and smaller toms...like a 10 x 9 makes for a better 10" tom tone. A 10" tom, by virtue of it's small diameter, loses sustain a lot quicker than a 12, so extra depth allows a little bit longer of an afterglow. It's not a huge difference, but I like all I can get. The same would apply to 8" toms as well.

Actually deeper toms have shorter sustain than shallow toms. This may seem backward to many but when you think about it, if the resonant head is closer to the batter head it receives more force from the batter head. With a deeper tom more energy is lost to the reso head as it has to travel further to get there, losing energy along the way.

Deeper toms will lower resonance (tone) but will reduce the sustain (time).

Last edited: