Drum Companies: How does it really work?

drummergirlgina

Hi everyone,

First, let me say I'm not asking this because I think I'm something special. I'm trying to understand if this is how drum companies work and what your recommendations are?

So, I'm an Artist Endorser with a large drum manufacturer. I was asked to play the main stage at NAMM 2016. Now, I live in Texas so I'm 1500 miles away. So, I called my Artist Relations Director and asked if a "backline" kit could be provided? I wanted to honor playing their kit and thought it might be good for them as I'm on the main stage as well? They told me that they not only have nothing to do with the bands playing on the stages there but, couldn't help me in getting a backline kit? I would have to rent it and have it set up and taken down. I just thought that was a bit odd if I'm representing them but I couldn't get them to help me when I'm coming 1500 miles? Well, my cymbal company that I am artist endorser for also builds boutique kits. They offered to get me a kit if I wanted to endorse their drum line? Everyone knows that most boutique kits are pretty expensive to start. So, that's one issue. The other is, if I ever do need a backline somewhere else, they don't have kits all over to use?

I love the sound of the smaller companies kit! But, am I asking too much of my current company? Is this a good reason to look somewhere else? What suggestions does anyone have about this?

Thanks for helping out!

www.drummergirg.com

Last edited:
If you're being asked to play, and especially since you're not local, the company should provide drums for you. It's done all the time, and kits are frequently moved in & out of companies' booths in order to accommodate their artists. Even if you're local, the company should provide a kit as a courtesy.

The only exceptions I can think of would be 1) if the stage requires a house kit to keep the bands moving quickly and the drum sound consistent, or 2) if the company is so small, they only have one kit in their booth and can't surrender it for a few hours. But the main stage and a "large drum manufacturer" don't really fit those criteria.

I don't think it's asking too much of your current company, and I don't think that's a reason to look elsewhere (unless you plan on doing a lot of backline gigs and they won't support you.) But I do think you should play the drums you really like.

I know the companies in question, perhaps I can give you better direction with each. (feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss it publicly)

Bermuda

Last edited:
Is it possible for you to talk with the reps. for the drum company you endorse and see if you can use one of their display kits at the NAMM show to use as your kit when you play there? I mean, if the company you endorse will be at the show, they will have kits there. Maybe you can speak directly to the people who will be at the show and work an arrangement.

I'm guessing she's with SoulTone and the drums are DC drums.

Soultone is connected with DC drums. At the Soultone display at NAMM earlier this year, they had a set of DC drums there, and I played them and seriously fell for them.

Those DC drums were the best tuned kit at NAMM. Best sounding ply drum I ever heard anywhere, hands down. These drums sounded absolutely killer. Thinnest ply shell I ever saw, about the thickness of an American Quarter. No re-rings either. I don't know how they did it. The tone of DC drums really impressed me. I would absolutely get a set of those drums.

I don't think the DC stands for DrumCraft. I'm pretty sure they are 2 different companies, but could use some help in clarifying.

DC was originally Buzin Drums, marketed out of a store in Van Nuys, CA, Drum Connection, hence DC California (the store is long gone.) In fact, Soultone was originally Buzin cymbals. Shop (co-?)owner Iki Levy moved forward with product after partner Yossi Buzin left.

That's the Reader's Digest version, I think I've explained it further in another thread somewhere.

Bermuda

Hi everyone,

First, let me say I'm not asking this because I think I'm something special. I'm trying to understand if this is how drum companies work and what your recommendations are?

So, I'm an Artist Endorser with a large drum manufacturer. I was asked to play the main stage at NAMM 2016. Now, I live in Texas so I'm 1500 miles away. So, I called my Artist Relations Director and asked if a "backline" kit could be provided? I wanted to honor playing their kit and thought it might be good for them as I'm on the main stage as well? They told me that they not only have nothing to do with the bands playing on the stages there but, couldn't help me in getting a backline kit? I would have to rent it and have it set up and taken down. I just thought that was a bit odd if I'm representing them but I couldn't get them to help me when I'm coming 1500 miles? Well, my cymbal company that I am artist endorser for also builds boutique kits. They offered to get me a kit if I wanted to endorse their drum line? Everyone knows that most boutique kits are pretty expensive to start. So, that's one issue. The other is, if I ever do need a backline somewhere else, they don't have kits all over to use?

I love the sound of the smaller companies kit! But, am I asking too much of my current company? Is this a good reason to look somewhere else? What suggestions does anyone have about this?

Thanks for helping out!

www.drummergirg.com

I'd be willing to let you use my kit. Not top of the line, but it's a solid, good sounding kit. It's a 2011 Stage Custom birch kit with 10, 12, and 16 toms with a 22 bass drum. I also have four different snare drums to choose from. I don't have a lot of cymbals but they are good quality Zildjian A's. No charge. I'll even set it up and tear it down for you. I live less than an hour away from Anaheim.

To Bermuda, you listen. Just show up with your sticks and play what's there. If youve never been to NAMM you do not want to be hauling or even renting anything. It's a major traffic snarl and people are everywhere. Where you park is far away so you don't even want to deal with that. I think last year at that stage all day there was stuff up there for groups to use. I guess the one exception was before Shiela E. played, a DW kit was set up for her, but you know, she's a star ;)

There's really no excuse for this, IMO.

I wouldn't automatically shift to another brand to endorse, but I would definitely put a "mental bookmark" on this incident. If stuff like this happens again, I'd switch (given the choice). Just because you are young and female, don't let the big boys push you around.

I guess my primary question is this: Who asked you play, and what are you promoting? If you are promoting yourself, play whatever is there. If you are promoting a brand, you need to play that brand. If you were asked to promote a brand and yet not given the brand-name product to promote, consider a move to another company.

Hey PorkPieGuy,

I was asked by another artist from San Francisco if I would be willing to back her as she is booked on the main stage. I thought this would really be great fun! So, then I asked my drum company to try and get me a backline kit so that I could promote their name. I like the idea of the mental bookmark! ;)

Gina "G"

There's really no excuse for this, IMO.

I wouldn't automatically shift to another brand to endorse, but I would definitely put a "mental bookmark" on this incident. If stuff like this happens again, I'd switch (given the choice). Just because you are young and female, don't let the big boys push you around.

I guess my primary question is this: Who asked you play, and what are you promoting? If you are promoting yourself, play whatever is there. If you are promoting a brand, you need to play that brand. If you were asked to promote a brand and yet not given the brand-name product to promote, consider a move to another company.

lsits,

Thank you so much for the offer! I think it would be pretty hard to drag a kit in there (NAMM). We had to park pretty far away last time. Also, I'm not sure the union would allow others to haul equipment in? But, that is a very generous offer! I hope to meet you there!?

Gina "G"

I'd be willing to let you use my kit. Not top of the line, but it's a solid, good sounding kit. It's a 2011 Stage Custom birch kit with 10, 12, and 16 toms with a 22 bass drum. I also have four different snare drums to choose from. I don't have a lot of cymbals but they are good quality Zildjian A's. No charge. I'll even set it up and tear it down for you. I live less than an hour away from Anaheim.

Hey PorkPieGuy,

I was asked by another artist from San Francisco if I would be willing to back her as she is booked on the main stage. I thought this would really be great fun! So, then I asked my drum company to try and get me a backline kit so that I could promote their name. I like the idea of the mental bookmark! ;)

Gina "G"

Hey Gina,

This makes sense. You could have your friend ask her PR folks/manager(s) if a backline would be provided. This is the route I'd take.

Let us know how it goes!

Back