Drum Builders and Baseball

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Wow that's cool. Wouldn't want to be the one holding it if it broke.

I wonder if different staves types make a better bat, of if it's all the batter?

Old Dog new Cans

The Mapex Saturn stave bats sound better.

Wouldn't a solid bat be better than a hollow bat?
A lot of bats are hollowed out already. Often plugged with something lighter. I'm totally unsure about how a stave bat would work out. . .I'd love to see how the handle end is made.

basset52

Fascinating! Be interesting to see how it breaks. I've been on the end of a broken bat heading my way - wouldn't want a a dozen bits of wood coming my way.

opentune

Platinum Member
A lot of bats are hollowed out already. Often plugged with something lighter. I'm totally unsure about how a stave bat would work out. . .I'd love to see how the handle end is made.
And I think illegal in the MLB.
I'm guessing stave cheaper to make as less large pieces of wood needed.
But I can't see how stave would work in baseball given wood bats break, at least for pros. Could be a liability issue if those start breaking in little league. Baseball is fun til somebody loses an eye.

SYMBOLIC DEATH

The handle is solid, and is made to fit the staves on the business end.
That sounds like a failure point to me. I heard years ago that major league players have to use/hold the bat with the label pointing up, otherwise there's a greater chance of the bat breaking. The label is put on the bat based on the grain orientation. With the stave construction that's a lot of work to get the grain lined up, but that's still not a solution to the handle joint.
Granted, I'm not an engineer and this could be the best thing ever. I don't even watch baseball.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Thanks for that. I went back to find the source and had issues. Compared to aluminum bats the price is good.
You're very welcome. The aluminum bats can get pricey real quick. I'd like to try and turn some stave sticks, but worry about enough material being left where the taper of the shoulder meets the tip. Maybe I could do a profile similar to the Buddy Rich sticks. Maybe that will be a little project for feces and smirks.