Drum Book Format Preferences

What drum book format do you like most?

• Total voters

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
As an author of drum books, I've been offering a printed version with coil binding, as well as a non printable ebook.

I always thought that the coil binding is fine for books that are intended to be used for years, but I'm also going to offer paperback versions soon.

I'm wondering what format most people prefer, so here's a poll if you're willing to let me know.

Thanks!

Steve Gadd's "Gaddiments" book is coil-bound. I've had it for about a year, use it every day, and it still looks as good as the day I got it. However, what makes the construction work is the weight of the paper. I don't think lightweight paper will last. Remember the spiral-bound notebooks we had in school? I've had years where they didn't even last the semester,

Judging by two books I've had for decades: Chapin book (spiral), and Garibaldi's Future Sounds (bound, not paperback) maybe a bound book is best for longevity. But they all fail; the spiral disintegrates, the cover and some inner pages fall out of the bound book... Paperback is hard to keep open on a certain page.

Maybe metal coil is best? I've got several of those which aren't used as heavily though.

Now the designer of my book's covers has adapted them to paperback format, also called perfect binding.
Most people prefer coil as I do too, but the aspect of the books without the coil is pretty neat too.
I know a drum teacher who may teach with my books, and who prefers regular paperback.
So I plan to offer both coil binding and regular paperback. The costs are the same.

when I buy a non coil bound book, the first thing I do is go somewhere and get it coil bound...allows the book to last fo a long time

Ebook is fine by me. I can be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern world :D But for print, coil. And non-printable ebook is a non-starter for me. If I can't print off occasional pages and I'm paying money for it, no thank you.

I get that if it's a novel or non-fiction, but not a music workbook.
Authors of music workbook should get ripped off, that’s what you mean?

My ebooks are distributed by Hudson Music, a prestigious publisher. Hudson also distribute many classic drum books, and they are cheap and non printable.

Authors of music workbook should get ripped off, that’s what you mean?

My ebooks are distributed by Hudson Music, a prestigious publisher. Hudson also distribute many classic drum books, and they are cheap and non printable.

Yep, that is exactly what I said...authors of music workbooks should get ripped off.

:p

If folks want to rip off authors/publishers, they will find a way regardless. They can just upload the file to their Dropbox or a torrent site if they want to rip the authors off. But I don't see what the harm is in letting people print directly from the PDF. I'm not about to print an entire book, but maybe I'd like to print a few pages here and there for my own use. I shouldn't have to take a pic of the screen to do it, and really, why bother with the formality if that's all you have to do to print something?

At any rate, I congratulate you on being published and wish you all the best with your future projects. Not very easy to get picked up by any publishing house, let alone a publisher like Hudson.

Last edited:
I would prefer both of them. Sometimes I get tired of screens. I even bought screen glasses, but I am not using them right, or they were not working, so I was tired anyway. I was writing two cooking essays for the students online at https://studyhippo.com/essay-examples/cooking/ and it was a terrible experience regarding the adverse effects of the screens on the eyes. On the other hand, it's much easier to read when you have a book, and you don't have to charge it. It feels pleasant as an emotional experience. But the good side of ebooks is their availability of them. You can share it with anyone where web access exists.

Last edited:
I'm old and the Kindle screen is too small for me to read without my glasses, but the glasses are a problem for the drums as I don't need them to see what I'm doing and they actually make it harder to see.
I agree with @JimmyM I should be able to print pages from the ebooks I've purchased. (stick control, 4 way independence, etc)
I agree with the others that a coil binding is best as it sits nicely on the music stand.

If one owns a physical copy of a book there is nothing to stop one from making a copy of a page within that book. Why should an ebook be any different?

At any rate, I congratulate you on being published and wish you all the best with your future projects. Not very easy to get picked up by any publishing house, let alone a publisher like Hudson.
Thank you!
Yes Hudson Music is quite famous for obvious reasons, and it's an honor to have my books on their platform.

Back