Drum bearing edges sanding

Ikebongo

Bearing edges on Toms are pretty uneven. Half is a nice 45 degree angle that comes up to a point. Then the other half the point is more of a plateau and causes the outside of the drum to have an angle as well. Has anyone got an idea if I can just sand the whole thing down to match the plateau parts so it will be even or will that make it worse. I’m getting a lot of dissonant overtones right now and have to completely unscrew several tension rods on both sides to make an even sounding pitch. Not sure if this is due to drum warping hoop warping or bearing edge unevenness.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I would be very careful sanding bearing edges. An unsteady hand will cause very irregular edges and any power sander may eat away more than you intend.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
It you know how to use a router table you can recut the bearing edges fairly easily. This is only if the drum is square to begin with. If not, the router won't make the edges consistent all the way around.

If you don't know how to use a router table, bearing edges are not the thing you want to learn on.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I have sanded and hand formed bearing edges several times. You can easily round off the edges by hand. But it is very difficult to hand sand the edges to a sharp edge. To sharpen the edges you would need to file the edges first, which difficult to do by hand.
To sand the edges you need to do two things.
1. You need to have a flat surface to check how even and flat the edge is. Make sure the shell is parallel to the surface. Check the flatness often as you work.
2. Use a #2 pencil or a colored pencil and darken the whole entire bearing edge. Both sides, down to where the edge stops. This darkening will indicate where you have sanded, and how much you have sanded off the edge.

I wish I was there with you to show you how it can be done.

Ikebongo

I have sanded and hand formed bearing edges several times. You can easily round off the edges by hand. But it is very difficult to hand sand the edges to a sharp edge. To sharpen the edges you would need to file the edges first, which difficult to do by hand.
To sand the edges you need to do two things.
1. You need to have a flat surface to check how even and flat the edge is. Make sure the shell is parallel to the surface. Check the flatness often as you work.
2. Use a #2 pencil or a colored pencil and darken the whole entire bearing edge. Both sides, down to where the edge stops. This darkening will indicate where you have sanded, and how much you have sanded off the edge.

I wish I was there with you to show you how it can be done.

yeah me too. the thing is, is that where it comes to a point on one end the outside is immediately coating/paint or whatever it is. but on the other part of the drum the point is flat and the outside is like a worn making another angle i think. not sure if i explained that correctly now or in my original post. I was thinking of just sanding the outside of the bearing edge to match the outside of the warn down edge and maybe flatten out the top.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
yeah me too. the thing is, is that where it comes to a point on one end the outside is immediately coating/paint or whatever it is. but on the other part of the drum the point is flat and the outside is like a worn making another angle i think. not sure if i explained that correctly now or in my original post. I was thinking of just sanding the outside of the bearing edge to match the outside of the warn down edge and maybe flatten out the top.
Yes, I understand. Make the whole edge match the flat part of the edge. I don't quite understand the part about the outside being immediately coated/painted. But yes you can sand down the pointed part of the bearing edge to match the flattened part.

You should have the whole bearing edge properly re-cut. However, it sounds like sanding down the pointed part of the edge to match the flattened part of the edge would be the next best thing to do.

wildbill

Platinum Member
This visual to what Hollywood Jim is saying might be useful.
I linked to it a ways in, but you might also want to watch the whole thing:

Last edited: