Drum and Equip Threads in General

SomeBadDrummer

Maybe because something not put in 'General' gets very little love and response.
I think this is part of it, otherwise it’s just easier to post in General than to spend 2 minutes finding the appropriate thread.
But IMHO those who post on the general thread instead of specific topic oriented threads are missing out on a much more focused discussion on the topic at hand. For those that are actually looking for real discussion..

I just hate when people post major news or private concerns in the general forum.

Gotta respect rank.
How does that change? I as a "silver member" will I be "gold" one day? How are promotions critiqued?
pun.gif

Stroman

Platinum Member
Why is it so bothersome to you? Other than not being technically right, does it cause some harm or inconvenience? Like i said, the way i navigate the forum it makes no difference, so I'm unclear what the negative is.

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
Other than not being technically right, does it cause some harm or inconvenience? Like i said, the way i navigate the forum it makes no difference, so I'm unclear what the negative is.
For users without an account, for registered users not visiting regularly or for registered users not involved in too many discussions keeping threads in the matching categories is key to find useful information or to browse topics of interest. In all those cases your way of navigation doesn't work.

Stroman

Platinum Member
For users without an account, for registered users not visiting regularly or for registered users not involved in too many discussions keeping threads in the matching categories is key to find useful information or to browse topics of interest. In all those cases your way of navigation doesn't work.
Yeah, that makes some sense. I'm not opposed to the categories, of course. Just wondered why it was such an issue, especially since the threads were in the general category.

What exactly would general best be suited for? Seems most everything could be pigeonholed.

calan

Silver Member
Yeah, that makes some sense. I'm not opposed to the categories, of course. Just wondered why it was such an issue, especially since the threads were in the general category.

What exactly would general best be suited for? Seems most everything could be pigeonholed.
To compound that, the first line of the description for general is literally 'General discussion forum for all drum related topics.'

That's ambiguous and broad enough that it's going to lend itself to be a catch all.

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
That's ambiguous and broad enough that it's going to lend itself to be a catch all.
Both of you are right in my opinion. I changed the description of the General forums to "General discussion forum for all drum related topics that do not fit into other categories. ..." We need this kind of catch all to not pollute the other forums but yeah it's tempting to put anything there without thinking about if it fits into other categories. My addition is no guarantee nor a final solution, so if there's better ideas for a description I'm happy to hear them.

Not sure if this is better, but how about bringing up the same menu that you see when you click "Post thread..." on the main page? Maybe with a reminder to select the appropriate sub-forum.
screenshot.png

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
I really like the idea, unfortunately this isn't possible within the forums software. But while looking for implementing your proposal I stumbled over a feature I am now using to make people think twice if the topic fits in General Discussion - you are forced to set a checkbox "I am sure my topic doesn't fit into other categories" now before hitting Send - in General Discussion only. The choice of the user normally is displayed within the topic but I was able to hide it from the public.

I really like the idea, unfortunately this isn't possible within the forums software.
Fubar... :(
That's a nice workaround you came up with, though. :)

The only thing left to do now is checking a few other things.. :D
✅ I've used the search function before posting
✅ I've used my brain before posting
✅ I've chosen a thread title that is more descriptive than "What is this?"
✅ I've avoided all political, religious or olfactory topics

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
you are forced to set a checkbox "I am sure my topic doesn't fit into other categories" now before hitting Send - in General Discussion only.
I presented this new feature to @Bernhard today and he didn't like it too much ("this is SOOO German!" :D)
giphy.gif

...so I removed it again. We decided on showing the forums descriptions on the index page now, which might also help selecting the right forum for posting a new thread. Dunno, let's see. We have an eye on it now, discussing the issue and possible solutions in our calls.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I never thought there was a problem, really. Don't like the thread? Go to the next thread. Problem solved.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Both of you are right in my opinion. I changed the description of the General forums to "General discussion forum for all drum related topics that do not fit into other categories. ..." We need this kind of catch all to not pollute the other forums but yeah it's tempting to put anything there without thinking about if it fits into other categories. My addition is no guarantee nor a final solution, so if there's better ideas for a description I'm happy to hear them.
Yes!

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I never thought there was a problem, really. Don't like the thread? Go to the next thread. Problem solved.
As someone else said, it's a problem if you're looking in correct forums for specific information. If ya want some info on, say, a Ludwig Jazz Fest you'd expect to look in the drum gear forum, not the general forum. This is a heckofalot more useful tool if threads are categorized correctly. When I counted at one point 25% of all general posts were drum-specific is when I raised the question.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
It wasn't necessary previously. What was necessary was to remind the member or posters to read the rules. The rules ask that posts be put in the right section. Nowhere does it say that if you continue to put posts in the wrong section, we'll change the name of the section. Reading is fundamental