Drum (and cymbal) manufacturers market share

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
Its a shame that Drummerworld does not feature polls. With a poll function we could survey the market share of the drum and cymbal manufacturers.

Any ideas how we can get this done?

I am thinking:

1. What brand of drumset do you own?(indicate your favourite set if you have more than one).

2. What is the next brand of drums you plan to buy?

3. Which brands are trending up(becoming more popular) right now?

4. Which brands are trending down(becoming less popular) right now?

Same for the cymbals.

With the above data we have a pretty good overview of the drum market.
I suggest to leave out the boutique compaines(otherwise the list will be endless)

Drums:
Pearl, Yamaha, Tama, Premier, Ludwig, Gretsch, DW, Sonor, Natal, PDP, Mapex, Ddrum

Cymbals:
Zildjian, Paiste, Sabian, Meinl, Istanbul, Wuhan, Dream, Stagg

Feel free to add/comment.

thx

jorn

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
1. What brand of drumset do you own?(indicate your favourite set if you have more than one).

2. What is the next brand of drums you plan to buy?

3. Which brands are trending up(becoming more popular) right now?

4. Which brands are trending down(becoming less popular) right now?

Same for the cymbals.
There are a number of threads where members talk about their preferences with regard to questions 1 & 2.

But questions 3 & 4 can't be accurately answered by the members, because companies' sales reports would be needed to determine who's growing, and who's shrinking. Members can give their opinions, but that's only based on their own perceptions, not the reality of how the companies are doing.

But I can give you my perception on the last two questions:

3. Ludwig

4. ddrum

Bermuda

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I suggest to leave out the boutique compaines(otherwise the list will be endless)
There are plenty of manufacturers who I wouldn't class as "boutique", yet still fall outside of your list. If you wanted a better impression of market share/market desires, I'd suggest at least having a "others" category to group non major companies together. To exclude them completely would be missing out a significant market sector. Same with cymbals.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
There are plenty of manufacturers who I wouldn't class as "boutique", yet still fall outside of your list.
Agreed. I think there some obvious omissions - Premier and Taye on the "majors" side, and Pork Pie, Spaun and GMS on the boutique-ish side need to be considered. Maybe SJC and Crush as well, based on their ambitious marketing.

If Natal is genuinely regarded as a contender at this point in their drum set journey, then the companies I mentioned also deserve to be included.

It's a chronic problem with polls and surveys, not enough options are given/allowed, so the results are skewed and cannot be considered accurate or complete.

Bermuda

T

The Old Hyde

It would be too hard to trust the data from a poll. Every 13 year old loser would tell you over the internet they own 3 dw collectors kits.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
There are trade magazines that do publish this info from time to time, but you have to be in the industry to subscribe.

But in general terms, I don't think there is much debate. Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW/PDP, and Ludwig are the undisputed leaders, with Mapex and Gretch not far behind, and then Sonar of course, than everyone else. The exact order of these may change from year to year, but the top names remain the top names.

In cymbals, Zildjian Sabain and Paiste remain the big 3, and Meinl continues to be a strong 4th player.

What is trending down is the majors as the market becomes more diluted with more and more companies. What is trending up is all the smaller companies who have positioned themselves to get a small slice of the pie. I don't think any one single small company is cutting into the majors profits in any noticeable degree, but the combined efforts of all these smaller players has to be making an impact.

opentune

Platinum Member
Whatever happens, its best for everybody if we get more companies making drums, no matter how small they are. High competition ultimately results in higher standards and innovation.