Drum accident...but funny

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
In that hands of trained professionals, or semi-professionals, or just guys who like to beat things, drums can still be dangerous. Check this out. Last Sunday, the church band I play with was playing a bluesy version of Amazing Grace. We even had a guy playing blues harp miced, and the way he was playing it, sounded fantastic....almost like hearing the bagpipes playing on Amazing Grace. Anyways...

I sorta layed low on this song, not playing until a few choice cymbal rolls here and there. I'm kicked back, really getting into listening to the blues harp. When my appointed time to do a roll comes up, I proceed to creshendo on the 18" crash with my sticks. (I still haven't replaced the mallets that were stolen a few years ago....lazy I guess....) I'm growing louder and really feeling good about this roll.

All of a sudden, my left stick comes flying out of my hand, (traditional grip) bounces off the cymbal and bounces up and hits me directly in the face. I finish right on beat with a crash from my right hand. My face is hurting and my glasses are sorta crooked from the stick hitting my glasses, but all in all it's not fatal, so I'm thankful. Later on I discovered I had a bloody nose from this, but thankfully nobody noticed. Haha!

That’s a funny story. It’s always nice when no one notices. This reminds me of this time my band was auditioning for this bar on a zebra jam type night. The house drummer had his drums set up so strangely. Everything was set up so far apart and I really had to reach for the cymbals. I'm a tall guy with long arms but this was too much. Anyway, we are 20 minutes into our allotted half hour when I break a stick and the broken part flew straight into my eye, sharp end first. This hurt like hell but I continued playing through the next couple of songs and ended our set. My eye was hurting and tearing up so bad that I couldn’t open it. I couldn’t even drive myself home. My wife ended up taking me to the emergency room where they said I had a scratched cornea. I had to where an eye patch for the next four days. I could only take it off to apply antibiotic eye drops. I’m lucky I didn’t end up blind.

Man, you are lucky you didn't loose your site, Fusrock! That's a story with a good ending.

Haha, that stort is funny! It reminds me of my buddy. He was in a metal band where the drummer was really animated. During a rehearsal, the drummer's stick rebounded and smacked the guy right in the teeth and cracked on of his teeth! He started where a gas mask to protect his face from his playing. Now the whole band where gas masks.. haha, crazy metal bands.... hilarious.

In that hands of trained professionals, or semi-professionals, or just guys who like to beat things, drums can still be dangerous. Check this out. Last Sunday, the church band I play with was playing a bluesy version of Amazing Grace. We even had a guy playing blues harp miced, and the way he was playing it, sounded fantastic....almost like hearing the bagpipes playing on Amazing Grace. Anyways...

I sorta layed low on this song, not playing until a few choice cymbal rolls here and there. I'm kicked back, really getting into listening to the blues harp. When my appointed time to do a roll comes up, I proceed to creshendo on the 18" crash with my sticks. (I still haven't replaced the mallets that were stolen a few years ago....lazy I guess....) I'm growing louder and really feeling good about this roll.

All of a sudden, my left stick comes flying out of my hand, (traditional grip) bounces off the cymbal and bounces up and hits me directly in the face. I finish right on beat with a crash from my right hand. My face is hurting and my glasses are sorta crooked from the stick hitting my glasses, but all in all it's not fatal, so I'm thankful. Later on I discovered I had a bloody nose from this, but thankfully nobody noticed. Haha!

God noticed, that's pretty much his AO. On the other hand, he notices it all. What a great place to make a mistake. Sort of a blessing. Great story. Thanks.

Hahaha that's awesome! I've hit myself in the face a couple of times before the worst by far is going to whack the floor tom and hitting your knee!
Man, I felt like rolling around on the floor, I lost all power in my leg and was trying to look un-phased.
Total fail.

I was doing a massive roll and the stick flew out of my hand, shot up and hit me right in the teeth. I now have a chip missing.

Moral of the tale : Shut your mouth!

Fortunate that you weren't really injured. If you weren't wearing your glasses that might have done some eye damage, eh?

Next time where your full face shield ;)

How ironic - I was just playing Amazing Grace last night at church and I do the same crescendo with the mallets. Fortunately I did not wack myself with a stick - this time. LOL

Were you playing the traditional song, or the contemporary medley version called Amazing Grace/My Chains Are Gone?

...cut myself on a china once....didn't notice it until I started seeing blood splattering on my coated heads.....didn't hurt, just looked bad.

Were you playing the traditional song, or the contemporary medley version called Amazing Grace/My Chains Are Gone?

Bingo! That's the one. Normally I would use mallets on this for well-placed cymbal rolls but mine were stolen some time ago and the church's mallets - altough pretty good, have disappeared as well.

All in all that's a great song and this time we added a blues harp so it became one of those songs that can give you goose bumps if played well. :)

Haha! Great story. Stuff like this happens to me too often. I really need to work on my grip...

Hitting your finger is the worst though, much worse than your knee, but I did hit my self just under my eye and the bruise looked like a mole for 2 weeks.

...cut myself on a china once....didn't notice it until I started seeing blood splattering on my coated heads.....didn't hurt, just looked bad.

Ah yeah man, that's happened to me a few times doing fast, multiple cymbal mutes, you mis-judge it a tiny bit and the cymbal slices between your finger and your nail and pops it straight off!

Also when I was younger I'd often clip the rim of my snare with my knuckles so all my coated ambassador heads were always covered in blood. I used to draw smiley faces on them with it.
I have loads of scars on my knuckles now. Sloppy playing, I had to really wind that in. Too much time on the e-kit...

Back