Drm Head Info Site

I found this cruising about this morning. Check it out

http://drumheadauthority.com

Hey, thanks for linking to my site - really appreciated! Hopefully people find it useful.

It's quite new at the moment, I've only recently got it to a point where I can share it with the world. The plan is to add a lot more content over time so keep checking back.

I'd be happy to hear any comments or feedback from people, or any suggestions on things people would like to see.

Thanks, site is very useful for comparing equivalents from one company to another. After my recent experience with Remo I'm either going back to Evans or going to give Aquarian a try. The only head Ive used by Aquarian is the triple threat on a snare (it was onsale). it was ok.

I just found your site. Very informative. Is there any way to put Attack drum heads into the mix?

Cheers

Hey Spud - not at this stage unfortunately... I just don't know enough about them to warrant writing in-depth pages on each of them like I've been able to do with the other heads. I honestly haven't used many Attack heads myself. In the future I'd love to add other brands, but it's quite time consuming/expensive to really test them!

Cool site.
So here's something that's been bugging me... Are all these fancy heads with dots and dampening rings etc really necessary? Is it not better to go with a standard single or double ply head and apply dampening as needed to suit the drum?

KInd of offshoot of Stevedot2 above...I bought Remo Powerstroke Pro. It has the dampening foam ring attached. Some questions, if I may:
Head is on finger tight right now. No hole in resonant head
1. Do I still need the pillow inside?
2. The "impact patch"...is it necessary/recommended?
3. I've heard people tuning 2 keys at a time...this is 8 lugs. Should I do 12 and 6 (o'clock), then 3 and 9. then the "in-betweens"?
4 New to drumming...how/where to place a drum dial? (not sure I can tune by ear yet)

Hopefully this will help:
1. This is your choice based on the amount of dampening and the sound you want. I'd suggest trying it without the pillow. I use a Superkick 2 with a similar ring, and it's more than enough. (I also use an unported reso.) If it's not enough, you can always put the pillow back. Give your ears some time to get used to it.
2. Unless your bass drumming style is super aggressive, you may not need the patch. Also, this would be based on your bass drum pedal beater(s). If they are able to damage the head, you should probably keep the patch. I don't use a patch. It may also add a bit of dampening or even focus to the head, so you may prefer it even if you don't need it.
3. Your method would work perfectly!
4. The DrumDial usually comes with a "Gage"(sic). This is a metal clip that puts the edge of the dial's base about an inch from the rim. You line it up at the tension rod and check all your tensions at a consistent distance from each tension rod. If you don't have the clip, you can just use something else to give you that uniform distance.

Very helpful, thanks for posting this!

I was an Evans hydraulic player for a long time. Love that brand & all the options they give.

Until....

I needed an Evans version of the Remo Controlled Sound Black Dot. I was told they have one, but even after contacting D'Addario DIRECTLY, I came home empty handed.
So Remo was my ONLY option for that 70's sound & center durability those heads are known for.

It actually surprised me as most companies have an equivalent of another's head in some form across the board. Single, double, 7-11mm you name it. They ALL had some version of their own.

Except this one.

Seems Remo has the dope spot on this design.

Thanks for sharing the link and thanks for all the info posted. It would be helpful to have a wav file associated with each. Yeah, I know time and $ become an issue. :cool:

I was an Evans hydraulic player for a long time. Love that brand & all the options they give.

Until....

I needed an Evans version of the Remo Controlled Sound Black Dot. I was told they have one, but even after contacting D'Addario DIRECTLY, I came home empty handed.
So Remo was my ONLY option for that 70's sound & center durability those heads are known for.

It actually surprised me as most companies have an equivalent of another's head in some form across the board. Single, double, 7-11mm you name it. They ALL had some version of their own.

Except this one.

Seems Remo has the dope spot on this design.
Ludwig had the silver dots and I think they were popular in the 70s. Not sure why no one else competes here.

Ludwig had the silver dots and I think they were popular in the 70s. Not sure why no one else competes here.
Very true. Forgot about those (and I shouldn't have since I had a kit with those on it at one time). :cautious:
I'm sure the Evans reenforced center heads (the ones with the patch on the bottom side of the batter) might be close.
Either way, the CS dots won that round.

Back