Drinkin' the Stage Custom Kool-Aid

evilg99

Platinum Member
OK, well no of course I don't need another drum kit. but these showed up in the local classifieds - really good price, so I had to do it.

22x18,10x8,12x9,16x16 Stage Custom Birch in Natural Gloss finish.

I had some die casts lying around that I wanted to try on the toms. They sound great, even with the stock hoops. The die casts (forgive the cliche) are focusing the toms a bit, and they seem to punch better. Fewer overtones for sure. Coated Ambassador on the rack toms and a coated Emperor on the floor. EQ3 BD batter and reso. All the drums were a piece of cake to tune.

It's been all this time and all these kits , and I've never owned a Stage Custom. Wow. Impressed. No reservations on using these drums for anything, anywhere. They really do sound great. More of a controlled sound perhaps than my other kits but really not bad tone. Punchy.

Was going to flip these but now I'm gonna gig them. I might even have a cut down party....if I do, it will be completely nuts - 22x14, 10x6,12x7,16x14. I've never regretted cutting down drums in the past...

Going to gig them Friday. Will make up my mind after that.
In the meantime, here they are. Fun!

Attachments

IBitePrettyHard

That's a nice find! Were the original hoops 1.5mm? If so, did switching to die casts cut out some of the resonance?

If it were me, I'd be careful about cutting down the depth of those drums. Birch is already articulate and perhaps short on resonance and warmth. (compared to maple) Cutting down those shells would make them sound thin, especially considering they're more budget oriented shells.

I've never been a fan of "fast" or "hyper-drive" toms though, so that's my reasoning. But if you're looking for that sound, go for it!

I'd feel much more comfortable cutting down the bass drum to maybe 15" or 16". That would be interesting. My feeling is that 14" might be a little short for a birch bass and would cut out the low end too much. Just my uneducated guess though lol.

Cymbalise

Those diecast hoops look the BUSINESS on those drums: you'd never tell it was a budget kit at all.

Are they the Yamaha aluminium ones or a different make?

evilg99

Platinum Member
That's a nice find! Were the original hoops 1.5mm? If so, did switching to die casts cut out some of the resonance?

If it were me, I'd be careful about cutting down the depth of those drums. Birch is already articulate and perhaps short on resonance and warmth. (compared to maple) Cutting down those shells would make them sound thin, especially considering they're more budget oriented shells.

I've never been a fan of "fast" or "hyper-drive" toms though, so that's my reasoning. But if you're looking for that sound, go for it!

I'd feel much more comfortable cutting down the bass drum to maybe 15" or 16". That would be interesting. My feeling is that 14" might be a little short for a birch bass and would cut out the low end too much. Just my uneducated guess though lol.
Yes, the original Yamaha hoops are 1.5mm steel. The die cast hoops remove some resonance , yes but not excessively. Biggest effect is less high overtones and they seem punchier. Drier sound for sure. But good.

I'm well versed with birch shells and the shorter note they have compared to maple, etc etc. I have already cut down another kit to these same dimensions (10x6, 12x7, etc) and I loved the results. Those are Birch Custom Absolute first generation shells (which are original Recording Custom Hokkaido Birch shells, complete with black stained interiors).

So while these shells are not that quality, I still think they would fare well in shorter depths. Having said ALL that - they do sound great as is. Not digging the ergonomics of the deeper shells on top of a 22" kick though - way too high. The only thing to do then os to set everything else up really high.

Those diecast hoops look the BUSINESS on those drums: you'd never tell it was a budget kit at all.

Are they the Yamaha aluminium ones or a different make?
Yeah, die casts sure do change the look of a drum! You know, even without the hoop upgrade, I say they don't look like budget drums at all.

The 10" tom has Yamaha aluminum die casts and the 12" has Pearl regular die casts. I'm looking for 16"'s now for the floor.
I do have a full set of spare alu die casts in 10-12-14-16 but they are on my Club Custom kit. And they do really well with those!

evilg99

Platinum Member
So gigged the Stage Custom kit this past weekend.
I think I'll leave them just as is, no cutting down.

This kit is the previous generation Stage Custom and unlike the current generation, they don't have die cast bd claws. So I replaced the claws with classic Ludwig claws and some T-rods.
The kit sounded unreal...maybe not the best kit for this boomy room but overall very impressed. I have played (and owned) kits that cost 5x as much as these and didn't sound as good. Crazy.

Still looking for 16" die cast hoops for the floor tom.

** Also - if anyone sees orphans in this color and badge, please let me know. Looking for an 8" and a 14" floor, maybe a 13".

Attachments

belairien

Silver Member
Im late to the party, but welcome to the club!
I drank the coolaid last November. Still sipping on it. Even went so far as to get a plate for the tom mount on the kick.

I love their natural birch finish. Its classy, yet fits in with heavier styles. Better than black imo. (I'm tired of black on black instruments)