Drink

mikyok

Platinum Member
I've also had drunks from the audience take over the microphone and do their own special show. It's hard to stop some people.
Unplug the microphone. That usually stops em.

I get the ones attracted to the drums so I hide the stick bag and dismantle the stool. They still get both barrels if they go near any equipment.

Timmy

I'm guessing the actor was Oliver Reed...........singer please be Joe Dolan :)

The wife's Irish so I know the problems that went on and still go on about WW1 and independence, family lives in Drogheda which is probably the worst place to be English where everything is Battle of the Boyne related! You have my utmost sympathies for sharing the same bit of rock as my mother in law!
Yeah, I've read that about Oliver Reed. The guy sure could act though. I thought he was excellent in 'Gladiator'.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
That would be the first and last time for me. I used to play with a vocalist that would drink a fair bit before, but it was more the during and after he would over do it and not help haul gear etc. Good on you for stepping up and doing the vocals though. That would be a huge challenge but it sounds like you saved the day / wedding.

It's one thing for a local bar band to suck. People pay good money and can only create that night one time. There isn't a redo (hopefully) so he could have really ruined their day. I would have sent him packing from that venue faster if I was in the band, or just attending that wedding.

As far as "a few drinks" before a gig, one or 2 while we are waiting to go on is fine, but that is pretty much it. Personally I find as a drummer playing extreme metal 3 is too many. I am playing at my absolute MAX for the entire time. I compare it to going to the gym for an insane workout and trying to have a few beer first. I don't think I'd be as good if I had 3 or 4 beers before a workout.

You don't see many athletes drink 3 beers before the big game, or a marathon either. Or a surgeon before an operation. So why do we do this to ourselves before a "performance"

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
That would be the first and last time for me. I used to play with a vocalist that would drink a fair bit before, but it was more the during and after he would over do it and not help haul gear etc. Good on you for stepping up and doing the vocals though. That would be a huge challenge but it sounds like you saved the day / wedding.

It's one thing for a local bar band to suck. People pay good money and can only create that night one time. There isn't a redo (hopefully) so he could have really ruined their day. I would have sent him packing from that venue faster if I was in the band, or just attending that wedding.

As far as "a few drinks" before a gig, one or 2 while we are waiting to go on is fine, but that is pretty much it. Personally I find as a drummer playing extreme metal 3 is too many. I am playing at my absolute MAX for the entire time. I compare it to going to the gym for an insane workout and trying to have a few beer first. I don't think I'd be as good if I had 3 or 4 beers before a workout.

You don't see many athletes drink 3 beers before the big game, or a marathon either. Or a surgeon before an operation. So why do we do this to ourselves before a "performance"
I'm the same way. While I enjoy a beer or two every once in a while (not a big drinker anymore), if I decide to go jam out it makes me lazy and sloppy. It's fun, but any kind of "work" gets thrown out the window, speed is lost and honestly I get bored because I'm not progressing with anything. I try to save any drinking for afterwards now.

And yeah, being hammered on stage is a no no. I wouldn't pay a drunk mechanic to work on my car, why would I want to see a drunk band put on a crappy show? It's just unprofessional.

donzo74

Sadly, I have too many of these stories but a lot of them are just humorous. Back in the mid-90's I played in a band where the singer thought he was the second coming of Jim Morrison. He would get ripped before every show on whatever anyone had and we frequently couldn't find him until the very second we would go on. He got drunk at some outdoor festival we were playing and did some spin move on stage and it was literally like the Tazmanian Devil came spinning across the stage and took out the whole right side of my kit. The floor tom, crash, ride and the singer all went flying off the stage behind me. I was still playing on my first kit back then so I wasn't too upset. It was actually hilarious to me at the time and we finished the song and just laughed. It wouldn't have been near as funny if it happened to any of my current kits.

There's a bass player that I still play with on occasion who is also a heavy drinker and funny as hell. In addition to being famous for always leaving some piece of his gear at just about every gig, he orders 2 beers at a time, drinks the first one in one gulp, then sips the other until it's time to order the next round. We played at a campground one time on the VA shore and he set his mic stand about one foot further away from him than his bass cable would allow. He would run up to his mic to sing his backing vocals and as soon as his lips got to the mic, his bass cable would rip out of his amp and obviously, the bass guitar sound would stop. Then he would have to stop singing and go plug his bass back in, then run back to the mic and his bass would unplug again. This also just cracked me up so bad that I could hardly play but it didn't prepare me for his grande finale of the night. He was obviously feeling no pain because he took his bass off, placed it on it's stand and then ran and took a flying Superman leap out of the window. I don't know if he thought he was going to actually land in the water because all you could see from the window was water, but he just landed on the sand and rocks below. At that point, we were done and I almost broke a rib laughing so hard!

More recently, there was a female singer in a blues band I play in. We played a wine festival and, of course, she had too much and had to sit in a chair on the side of the stage for our 2 sets. Then she got too drunk at another biker bar we played at and she went and sat in her car for the whole gig while the guitar player's wife and I sang the tunes. I have no problem jumping in and singing and I always have a "the show must go on" attitude, but I was starting to sense a pattern. Her third strike was a brewery gig out of town. The rest of us were on the way and the band leader sent her a text to check on her and see if she needed a ride. She gave him some B.S. story that she had just gotten out of the E.R. and when he asked if she was going to do the gig, she tried to guilt trip him and act like he didn't care about his band members. So, we did the gig without her and she was fired the next day after the band leader saw pics she was posting of her at a bar partying with shots all lined up. She just wanted to go out drinking and completely blew off that gig! I told him I didn't want to work with her anymore and the rest of the band agreed. We're getting along fine with no drama or stress any longer. Good riddance!

TOMANO

I steer clear of any heavy partying musicians. If a member chooses to drink or get high after the show, they are an adult. Any addictions or behavior that affect my profession are immediate dismissal.