Drink

mikyok

Platinum Member
Anyone else had problems with a band member who can't stay sober? Try and beat this......

Wedding gig on Sunday, our 'singer' decides to drink all day. No idea what he had before he got in the van but on the way to the gig he got through 2 half bottles of Scotch and several pint cans. We only found out how much afterwards as he was in the back.

Comes to sound check and he point blank refuses to do the first dance and it's quite obvious at this point he's too pissed up to do the gig. After we coax him on stage bride walks in to introduce herself. He stands on the stage eyeballing her and makes complete c*nt of himself in front of her, falls off the stage and can't get up. At this point I'm realising why guns aren't legal in this country. Following this I've had serious words outside, falling just short slapping him silly.

I've had to learn the first dance in 15 minutes and play it one handed whilst reading the lyrics as I'm going. He's staggered on stage (still hasn't plugged his mic in) and tried to grab our mics off us, his mic is in his pocket and after another 30 seconds he slurs his way through the first 2 songs. After this I decide to take the executive decision and take over singing duties. He stands leaning against the stage wall shooting us evils for a couple of songs and then walks off stage. He got a taxi 40 miles home that cost £100.

I had to sing the entire 2 hour gig. Luckily and by a sheer miracle we packed the dance floor and everyone had a good night.

I'd booked yesterday off work to chill out but it was a day of complete bullshit, agent was cool with me but straight up fired his ass and told him to refund the bride and groom in full out of his own pocket as well as split his gig fee three ways with the "power trio" that had to cover for him. It got sorted by 9pm last night so I haven't gotta speak to him again.

His antics put him over £1000 out of pocket and have lost him a job.

Wow...just wow, that is a shame. I'm glad you where able to pull off the gig and make everyone happy. I assume you are looking for a new singer, and I hope that happens quickly so you can put all this behind you. I've delt with drunks, and, well a lot of druggies too...lots of fun.

Highway Child

Jeez sounds awful. Cant match that but many years ago I was playing theatre pit gigs. During a weeks run in Dublin our show had a local guest star - big name singer - who one day got drunk enough to make the Irish Times front page from his clowning disrespectfully at memorial. Later that evening he got through his set (just) but with a fair few profanities that went down like a lead balloon.

How about band members who think having 2 or 3 drinks is OK? They claim it is needed to relax and has no effect on their playing. Yeah right.........tell that to the man with a click in his ear!

mikyok

Platinum Member
Wow...just wow, that is a shame. I'm glad you where able to pull off the gig and make everyone happy. I assume you are looking for a new singer, and I hope that happens quickly so you can put all this behind you. I've delt with drunks, and, well a lot of druggies too...lots of fun.
All kinds of fun, when they start coking up before a gig and literally crash as they get off stage, yep got that t-shirt. Usually singers in my experience but musicians and substance abuse is nothing new. My rule is whatever you do, do it after the gig and not near me!

Left us in the lurch, strange scenario because we can get a clean break from our agent who presents another list of problems and it's the end of wedding season so look on the bright side. I have lots of functions stuff coming my way from another band with an unreliable drummer regardless. I've set my stall and said whoever comes in needs gear, transport and pulls their weight as the previous incumbent had none of them.

Never understood the amount of singers who don't own a microphone, never mind a PA. An SM58/Stand/Lead is £100!

mikyok

Platinum Member
Jeez sounds awful. Cant match that but many years ago I was playing theatre pit gigs. During a weeks run in Dublin our show had a local guest star - big name singer - who one day got drunk enough to make the Irish Times front page from his clowning disrespectfully at memorial. Later that evening he got through his set (just) but with a fair few profanities that went down like a lead balloon.

How about band members who think having 2 or 3 drinks is OK? They claim it is needed to relax and has no effect on their playing. Yeah right.........tell that to the man with a click in his ear!
I dunno that's up there. Did you know what had happened before the papers came out the next day? The sense of dread when they show up must have been the same. Higher profile gig too.

The 2-3 drinks crowd sound like musicians who have had 2-3 drinks. When you're drumming you see and hear everything unfolding before anyone else.

Highway Child

I'll withhold names (both dead now) but the singer was a VERY big star in Ireland, had been in musical films. He had hooked up with a famous film actor who had a big reputation for drunken behaviour and a binge ensued........this was in the late seventies, Ireland was very conservative and the pair of 'em caused outrage. Larking around at the O'Connell St post office was a big no-no. Like pissing on the Whitehall Cenotaph.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Congratulations for single handedly saving that couple's wedding reception. You did drummers proud the world over.

Snatched victory from the jaws of defeat, that's what you did.

Alcohol makes for great stories, too bad it was at your expense.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I'll withhold names (both dead now) but the singer was a VERY big star in Ireland, had been in musical films. He had hooked up with a famous film actor who had a big reputation for drunken behaviour and a binge ensued........this was in the late seventies, Ireland was very conservative and the pair of 'em caused outrage. Larking around at the O'Connell St post office was a big no-no. Like pissing on the Whitehall Cenotaph.
I'm guessing the actor was Oliver Reed...........singer please be Joe Dolan :)

The wife's Irish so I know the problems that went on and still go on about WW1 and independence, family lives in Drogheda which is probably the worst place to be English where everything is Battle of the Boyne related! You have my utmost sympathies for sharing the same bit of rock as my mother in law!

BonsaiMagpie

My first ever gig, my psych outfit were opening up. The headline drummer, whose band had sold out the venue said all the drummers could use his extremely expensive 8 piece acrylic kit his wonderful cymbals. Our singer/lead guitarist during the last song poured a bottle of beer all over the kit. The second we finished I started cleaning the entire kit, I even took the shirt off my back to clean because there was so much beer. The headliners roadie came over giving me shit, and went on trip over the singer and I had refused to punch him myself. Never played with that singer again, and never want to after that. The drummer, whose gear it was, could not have been more relaxed and cool about it, and we're still friends.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Had a gig once where the lead singer got food poisoning, and near the end of the first set threw up violently on stage. The sound guy drove her home at that
point, returning much later.
Same gig had free alcohol, including vodka, and we hadn’t noticed the bass player helping himself. He was getting wobbly, then started burping into his mic and giggling. We sent him to sit in his car to recover/sleep. We now had no lead singer, no bass player and no sound guy.
Somehow we got through the gig - the keyboard player turned out to be a good bass player, even playing the intro for ‘Old time Rock n’ Roll’ on piano then swapped to bass for the rest of the song. A few people knew lyrics of a few songs. We did a big medley of 12 bar 50’s songs. We were stressed, some songs were sloppy, but the audience didn’t seem to notice and we played the four hour gig til midnight as booked.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Seems like in the 70s buzz musicians were the norm-lots of pretty epic stories of well known artist too blitzed to perform-but did anyways LOL. Funny how when you're blitzed "you think" you actually perform better LOL. Now "no drunks or drugs" ads for musicians and bands seems to be the norm. My how times change-for the better in this instance. I don't know why I don't look like Keith Richards and mumble like Ozzie.

Highway Child

I'm guessing the actor was Oliver Reed...........singer please be Joe Dolan :)

The wife's Irish so I know the problems that went on and still go on about WW1 and independence, family lives in Drogheda which is probably the worst place to be English where everything is Battle of the Boyne related! You have my utmost sympathies for sharing the same bit of rock as my mother in law!
Yes the actor was Oliver Reed! Singer wasn't Joe Dolan. It was the seventies and this guy was old at that time - well into the "revered elder statesman" league of older stars. Mind you he still had his vocal chops, was gigging and filling venues. Clue - dressed like Co. Sanders.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
The jerk couldn’t pay the bride and groom enough to make up for ruining their day. He got off easy. We had a gig a while back where multiple bands were playing. The singer got drunk off his butt just like the OPs post. In the middle of one of the songs he decided everyone needed to do solos. He kept yelling out pffffolllooo, pffffolllooo and wouldn’t quit. He got pissed and smashed up one of the guitar players guitars and walked off stage. He was lucky he didn’t smash my drums or this story would be different!

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
One time I was playing a festival with a fair attendance and a big ol' stage. It was a real event with free BBQ and the acts were pretty dang classy. We get there and we're all having a great time watching the bands before us and hanging out. We all had a beer or two but I wasn't worried because there was still literally like 5 hours till our start time. It was a ways away from us and we drove around 4 hours to get there.

About half way through our wait, as we're all eating some grub together I saw the keyboard player take down a full cup of IPA in two gulps and immediately get up for another. I ask everyone how many he's had as I notice he's a little unsteady as he stands up. The guys kinda give a side-eye and say basically all day he's been drinking. Now, I've had minor issue with this guy before, drinks a bit too much at practice (not a huge deal) and there were gigs where it seemed like he had maybe one too many before getting on stage... But this was new territory, this was more like 5 or 6 too many and there was still hours to go. When he got back I told him pretty clearly that I thought he was drinking too much and slow down. He scoffed.

Sure enough, our time slot comes, and he's a sloppy boi. He takes forever to get his shit setup because he's forgetting things and being a drunk. When we actually play he plays about 1/4 of the stuff he's supposed to; and on his "star" song where he kicks things off and gets a lot of the spotlight, he messes up the intro hugely and glaringly.

That was enough for me, and it was also enough for the guitar player! We both quit the next day without consulting each other. They accused us of getting together to screw them at the same time but it was "coincidence" brought about by the key player being a drunk who can't have enough respect to stay sharp for his band mates.

I was SO happy I drove my own car and gear so I didn't have to be stuck in a van with that idiot for 4 hours back.

Lee-Bro

I need some clarity:

1) Is the agent also the singer?
2) Is this group not a formalized band, but rather a group of hired guns coming together?
3) How in a van full of people is he pounding that much alcohol? I've seen sneaky drinkers but that's a new level.

As a side note, I had a guitar player get so drunk at a gig, he pretty much passed out leaning against his amp. Our singer grabbed the guitarist's extra guitar, put it on and plugged into the amp so we could at least finish a set w/ just rhythms. It sucked.

basset52

The most dissapointing aspect of all of this was his attitude to what was one of the biggest events in peoples lives - the big day of their wedding. The disrespect shown is beyond words. My daughter recently got married . If one of the band members at her wedding had behaved as he did her brothers might have taken matters into their own hands. At least you saved the day for the bride and groom- well done.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I've also had drunks from the audience take over the microphone and do their own special show. It's hard to stop some people.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I need some clarity:

1) Is the agent also the singer?
2) Is this group not a formalized band, but rather a group of hired guns coming together?
3) How in a van full of people is he pounding that much alcohol? I've seen sneaky drinkers but that's a new level.

As a side note, I had a guitar player get so drunk at a gig, he pretty much passed out leaning against his amp. Our singer grabbed the guitarist's extra guitar, put it on and plugged into the amp so we could at least finish a set w/ just rhythms. It sucked.
To clarify
1) Singer is not the agent
2) Gig was under our band name, dep guitar n bass but me n singer are on all the promo. Deps are good mates and shit hot players. They were ready to kill him!
3) We had no idea what he'd drunk before we picked him up. It was dark on the drive and we only found out after we looked in his bag after he'd disappeared. Funnily enough I've never seen anything like it either! Don't ever wanna be in that position again!

mikyok

Platinum Member
The most dissapointing aspect of all of this was his attitude to what was one of the biggest events in peoples lives - the big day of their wedding. The disrespect shown is beyond words. My daughter recently got married . If one of the band members at her wedding had behaved as he did her brothers might have taken matters into their own hands. At least you saved the day for the bride and groom- well done.
To be honest we'd all donned our shitting pants, I've done gigs where the clients are looking to complain from the second you arrive and that's when everything goes to plan.

I'd have gone crazy at my wedding if someone in the band was that drunk. It's an insult to the clients and a bigger insult to fellow musicians.