Drilling hole's in snare's

CountHavoc

I had to get a replacement throwarm for my old wood snare,but when i got it home,it was already broken.Lucky,i was able to exchange it,but,they didnt stock anymore of the same arm.The guy was nice enuff to give me the new arm for free,but i will have to drill hole's in my beloved snare to get it to fit.Now,will this change my sound?,Will i have trouble lining it up for the springs?Any help would be appreciated.
Hope this pic give's u an idea of what im going to do.

Attachments

CountHavoc

What i wanna know is,what's the best way to go about drilling holes into my snare to fit the new arm,will the spring's be outta line,will it affect the sound,do i need to accuratly measure the distance betwwen the top & bottom of the snare to get the placement right?

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
just make sure it is centered on the existing holes. If you can use one of the existing holes that is even better.

Also you want to keep the bottom of the new throw off in the same place as the original so the snare wires adjust correctly.

Also place a piece of tape on the back side of the location where you are drilling.Also use a piece of wood to put pressure on the backside where you are drilling. This will help stop blow out when you drill through.

CountHavoc

just make sure it is centered on the existing holes. If you can use one of the existing holes that is even better.

Also you want to keep the bottom of the new throw off in the same place as the original so the snare wires adjust correctly.

Also place a piece of tape on the back side of the location where you are drilling.Also use a piece of wood to put pressure on the backside where you are drilling. This will help stop blow out when you drill through.
Thanx heap's,am gonna try it today,will let u know how it went

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Then you can go to a hardware store and buy some wooden dowels to fit in any of the old holes.