Dream Theater's new drummer position: Who should it be?

Mendozart

Platinum Member
I think "Octavarium" was their last good album. I'm good with whomever they pick, as long as he, (or she ;-P), doesn't spit on stage. I've seen DT numerous times, and I always thought that was disgusting when Portnoy would do that.

classicstar

I always thought it would be very interesting for them to have someone with a small 4 piece kit or something. My vote goes to Martin Axenrot....or maybe Matin Lopez has finally returned to the scene. I would be a very happy person if that was the case.

Charybdia

Marco Minneman? He has the technical ability, a bit young. He's American, maybe not hugely metal but could be a good contender.

I'd also throw in a vote for Martin Lopez.

Gene Hoglan?

Just kidding.

Derek Roddy? - though personality wise he'd probably not fit the criteria well. Be interesting to have him in though.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
My first thought when I saw this thread was 'at the back'.

But Portnoy was always at the back anyway. Maybe at the back of the room, that'd be an interesting monitoring challenge!

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Another guy who's name I've seen batted around is Mark Zonder.

Mark makes a ton of sense, given the close relationship between Dream Theater and Fates Warning, and similar prog-metal style. Mark fits the bill in every way.

I've just not really considered him, because I don't see Mark really wanting to be tied to a major commitment like that. He seems happier doing his own thing, running his studio business, and doing his own bands. And from various people I've talked to, Mark is not always the easiest person to work with.

But he did say this last week, which makes me kind of wonder:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=149527

"Last but not least, I have put together a full-out prog-metal band. Yes, I said prog… Time to get back to this world, time to go home. At present we are putting together songs. Sort of like playing a drum solo from start to finish. A lot of playing but also great vocals and big hooks. Sort of fun not worrying about having the vocals start 20 seconds in. More to come shortly."
He didn't mention names of who the players are he working with. The comment is so vague, plus the line "time to go home" just makes me wonder.

Could just be a coincidence, but maybe not.

Nick G.

steve gadd
just imagine lol :)

to be honest i just cant see dream theater with any other drummer than portnoy

Thaard

Platinum Member
Marco Minnemann would be perfect for the job.
I've seen him play everything from drum 'n bass, Led Zeppelin and The Police-covers, big band, extreme metal, extreme fusion. You name it!
He's a monster and he would fit right in. Maybe a little younger age-wise.

Migaluch

I really like some of these possibilities! Im sad that Mike had to go, but the idea of a new drummer is pretty cool. I wanna see what new sound comes out of this in the next album. :D

Charybdia

Marco Minnemann would be perfect for the job.
I've seen him play everything from drum 'n bass, Led Zeppelin and The Police-covers, big band, extreme metal, extreme fusion. You name it!
He's a monster and he would fit right in. Maybe a little younger age-wise.

Oh yeah I forgot Marco played with Necrophagist. Not hugely metal? I lied.

I think the only thing about him would be his age? Otherwise he'd fit the bill perfectly and could easily handle all the funny time signature/polyrhythms. He has a fairly sizeable kit too.

joeysnare

Silver Member
aquilles preister from angra, he could handle the job easily i think,and add a lil southamerican flavor.

Thaard

Platinum Member
Oh yeah I forgot Marco played with Necrophagist. Not hugely metal? I lied.

I think the only thing about him would be his age? Otherwise he'd fit the bill perfectly and could easily handle all the funny time signature/polyrhythms. He has a fairly sizeable kit too.
He also knows all the tricks, spins and stickings to wow the audience.