Dream Theater - Panic Attack Drum cover (studio quality)

dtrushr30dw

Hey fellow drummers! I just got this up on the YouTube. If you could give it a "like" that would be great! I'm entering it into a contest through SJC Custom Drums. If I have "likes" on the video, it will up my chances of advancing to the next round(s). And as always, don't be afraid to critique my playing/production, it all helps me improve as a musician and engineer.
Thanks,
Jackson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEu13QeWL-w

porter

Platinum Member
Pretty faithful cover there :) Really, really solid playing, and I appreciate the ghost notes and other embellishments. I think even given that it's a Dream Theater song, SJC's audience might be looking for a more cinematic cover- I really tend to dislike those that go overboard on it, but if you're looking to get an SJC deal or something out of the contest, it might help to see if you could get more than one angle (or pick an even more difficult song). Good luck though!

Oh, one thing I forgot to add- I think that the drums could come up a bit more on top of the original track in mixing. It's a drum video, and I think that entails more of an emphasis on the drums than blending with the track.

dtrushr30dw

Pretty faithful cover there :) Really, really solid playing, and I appreciate the ghost notes and other embellishments. I think even given that it's a Dream Theater song, SJC's audience might be looking for a more cinematic cover- I really tend to dislike those that go overboard on it, but if you're looking to get an SJC deal or something out of the contest, it might help to see if you could get more than one angle (or pick an even more difficult song). Good luck though!

Oh, one thing I forgot to add- I think that the drums could come up a bit more on top of the original track in mixing. It's a drum video, and I think that entails more of an emphasis on the drums than blending with the track.
I'll try getting another camera (I just purchased this one and I'm in debt $300 because of it.. lol). And I'll consider bringing the drums up even more. Thanks for the input!

porter

Platinum Member
I'll try getting another camera (I just purchased this one and I'm in debt $300 because of it.. lol). And I'll consider bringing the drums up even more. Thanks for the input!
Haha, no problem. Maybe you could set up a smartphone or something else with a camera. I filmed an angle with an iPad once- kind of a pain to transfer footage, but they have acceptable video quality.

dtrushr30dw

Haha, no problem. Maybe you could set up a smartphone or something else with a camera. I filmed an angle with an iPad once- kind of a pain to transfer footage, but they have acceptable video quality.
I've considered the smartphone idea, but I know that transferring those files can be a pain. haha

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Cool playing in the first 2 mins. That's all the dream theater I can take lol.

I like your technique, you seem to hold the sticks at the end.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Great playing right there! Immaculate crisp timing. I thought the snare sounded thin & the toms a bit flat, but in this context, that's really being picky. Good luck!

I like your technique, you seem to hold the sticks at the end.
I do that too, but I always thought it was regarded as bad technique? Personally, I don't give a crap what people think, it's what works for me, & obviously works well for the OP here too :)

BramVanroy

I do that too, but I always thought it was regarded as bad technique? Personally, I don't give a crap what people think, it's what works for me, & obviously works well for the OP here too :)
Especially when playing melodic instruments, it is often seen as a bad technique to hold your sticks not at the end. Not sure for drums though. The advantage of holding 'em at the end is that you can more easily play things like down-ups (rely on the bounce-back of the stick. If you hold the stick close to the tip, the stick won't bounce back as far.) Contrarily, holding the stick a between the end and the middle is often done for minuscule precision. I've seen (and played it) it in orchestral snare drumming for some very silent parts.

OT: good stuff! As said, it is quite faithful to the original, which I don't mind in songs like these. A bit a shame that your drums don't sound a bit louder than the original track. I find it hard to distinguish between your drum sound, and the original track.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Especially when playing melodic instruments, it is often seen as a bad technique to hold your sticks not at the end. Not sure for drums though. The advantage of holding 'em at the end is that you can more easily play things like down-ups (rely on the bounce-back of the stick. If you hold the stick close to the tip, the stick won't bounce back as far.) Contrarily, holding the stick a between the end and the middle is often done for minuscule precision. I've seen (and played it) it in orchestral snare drumming for some very silent parts.
Funny you should say that. I started of (ahem) many decades ago on timpani & tubular bells :)

BramVanroy

Funny you should say that. I started of (ahem) many decades ago on timpani & tubular bells :)
I'm not sure about tubular bells, but especially with timpani it is much easier to do "rolls" when you hold the sticks at the end. (Personally I have more experience with marimba, xylophone, vibraphone stuff.)

dtrushr30dw

OT: good stuff! As said, it is quite faithful to the original, which I don't mind in songs like these. A bit a shame that your drums don't sound a bit louder than the original track. I find it hard to distinguish between your drum sound, and the original track.
Haha I think I forgot to mention that I recorded along to a drumless track. You're only hearing my drums in the video, not portnoy's. And I just got new heads last night, the ones in the video were dead. Haha

And on the stick technique, I never realized I was holding them so far back. I just try to get the best rebound possible, it's all about doing the least amount of work and being efficient.

porter

Platinum Member
Especially when playing melodic instruments, it is often seen as a bad technique to hold your sticks not at the end.
The only times I've ever not held my sticks, mallets, or other implements within probably an inch of the butt end in my entire high school band career (overseen by a very particular instructor) were for a xylophone rag and occasional snare drum sections in solos.

Fuzrock

Silver Member
Haha I think I forgot to mention that I recorded along to a drumless track. You're only hearing my drums in the video, not portnoy's. And I just got new heads last night, the ones in the video were dead. Haha

And on the stick technique, I never realized I was holding them so far back. I just try to get the best rebound possible, it's all about doing the least amount of work and being efficient.
You're an excellent drummer and your kit is extremely cool. You should be doing a Rush cover on that Neal kit. Very jealous.

dtrushr30dw

You're an excellent drummer and your kit is extremely cool. You should be doing a Rush cover on that Neal kit. Very jealous.
Thanks so much, it's nice that the years of practice are paying off. Haha I've got a yyz cover somewhere on my channel, I should probably do more Rush covers as well.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Wasn't a criticism buddy, just an observation. I do it when I want more power, probably means I should use bigger sticks.