What would be your dream kit?

Just purchased mine. "Ray Era" Ayottes in Copper Sparkle Lacquer. 10, 12, 14, 16, 20. Never left his house.

Disclaimer: Previous owners pictures. Full pics after I finish my setup.

View attachment 92325
View attachment 92326
Back in the 90s Ayotte drums were my dream kit. I would always see them advertised in Modern Drummer magazine. I marveled at their wood hoops. They were just so exotic looking.

Never heard them played though. Such was life back in the 90s without Youtube, haha.

I have a somewhat limited picture of my dream kit. In fact, my dream would be to have a couple, building on the one kit I already own and creating two more.

I presently have one set that is a mix of some different drums. The heart of the kit is a 5 piece Slingerland Stage Band kit in white marine pearl with 12/13/14 toms and matching 5.5x14 wmp wrapped snare. I added a 10" roto tom up top and a Premier floor tom 16x14 also wrapped in wmp. My dream would be to have Chicago Drum make me a 10x7 mounted tom and a 16x16 floor tom both with matching Slingerland Stage Band lugs to match the rest of the kit.

For kit number two I would love to put together another 7 piece kit but with a natural dark wood finish. A Gretsch USA Custom kit with a 22 bass drum, 10/12/14 mounted toms and 16/18 floor toms. Color would be Satin Walnut.

My third kit would be basically a similar bass drum size as the one above in a black finish with all roto toms to round it out. 10/12/14/16/18 rotos configured as 3 up 2 down. That's my dream. Nothing too fancy. And clearly all three are identical in configuration. I like what I like. And then ask me this same question a year from now and I might have completely different answers for you.

I should add that I would also want to pick up some snares. Maybe a 6.5x14 wood snare, a piccolo snare and a popcorn snare, both metal. And another 5.5x14 Maple Wood snare as well as a nice high end 5.5x14 steel snare. I haven't really looked so much to know which brand or model I'd want. Could be vintage or new.

As for cymbals, I'd want to go cymbal shopping as well. Definitely a 22" ride, maybe a swish, a 17" and 18" crash to go with my current 16" crash. A nice pair of hi hats. I'd want to go Zidjian across the board as I've played Zildjian all my life. But that could change once I started listening to the different options available.

Dream on.

Last edited:
I have my dream kit, and I will be playing it tomorrow at our drive-in church service. Peace and goodwill.

100_0489.JPG

Back