What would be your dream kit?

Wow, let's try it :
If I think of it, I would say a flexible kit that would allow me to have a standard rock kit and a smaller for small venues.

I would not be that far from what I currently own but modern of course, so Maybe Premier Elite or DW collector, Ludwig, Gretsch, I don't know, as long as it has triple flange and standard sizes and colours !

I would go for a Maple kit (thin shell) with triple flange hoops (don't like heavy die cast), certainly piano white or pearlescent white with chrome HW.
Size would definately be traditional :
22x16 - 10x7 12x8 13x9 and 16x16. Plus a second smaller bass drum and floor : 20x16 or 14 and a 14x14. With that choice I would be able to mix and match to the playing situation without intending to play everything at the same time. At least 2 snares : a 6,5 steel, 5,5 Maple, plus maybe a 5,5 birch this one with die cast hoops to cut through.
Cymbals : I'm pretty happy with my Sabian AA, so I would keep a full range (HH, 3 crashes, ride, big china, china splash, splash)
Et voilà !

Would probably live out my boyish fantasy of having Joey's kit.

So... A Pearl Masterworks with thick gumwood shells. Black on black. With the Joey snare of course because that metal pop it has is amazing. Double Demon Direct Drive pedals with standard drum rack and hardware.

Throw in a black on black Pearl marching snare since I played all 4 years high school.

Full set of black Color Sound Paiste 900s. Remo heads. And unfortunately my favorite Vic Firth 5Bs in black. Sorry Joey, not a Promark guy.

I ordered mine in January and it is scheduled to arrive next month!

Attachments

• GretschUSAYellowResize.PNG
    GretschUSAYellowResize.PNG
    201.8 KB · Views: 70
Been dreaming about both Paiste symphonic and Earth gongs in the 50"-60" size.

An octaves of chromatic crotales.

A set of 4 hammered symphonic timpani.

Cooperman rope tension field drum 16"x15"

Slingerland chrome over brass 6.5x15"

That should keep Santa busy enough...

My dream kit would be an early/mid 2000s Pearl MMX Masters in Sunrise Fade in the following sizes:

Kick #1 - 22x18
Kick #2 - 20x16
Kick #3 - 18x14
Tom #1 - 10x8
Tom #2 - 12x9
Tom #3 - 14x14
Tom #4 - 16x14
Snare #1 - Ludwig Black Beauty, 5x14
Snare #2 - Ludwig Black Beauty, 6.5x14
Snare #3 - Maple - 6x14
Snare #4 - piccolo, probably 3x13

Cymbals - not completely sure on models/sizes, but I'd want a few sets - one from the Sabian HHX Series, another from the Paiste 2002 series, and a third from the Paiste Signature series. Maybe a set from the Zildjian K Custom series.

With the drums and cymbals listed above, there wouldn't be a gig I couldn't do. If I had unlimited funds, that's exactly what I would get, plus cases and bags for all.

And that black logo head would have to go - maybe a white logo head, but I'd rather just have a plain white reso on the kit - it would great on that kit.

img_0980_8.jpg

As much as I love my Guru kits, they are just drums. That share every important thing with every other drum out there. After you've had a dream kit, there's really no place to go gear-wise. You realize that truly, this is about as good as it gets, so this journey is over. OVER! That's a good thing because it kind of forces you to do what you're supposed to be doing, playing them.

I feel the same way, minus the Guru kit and I will add this : the only limit to any decent quality kit isthe musician sitting behind it.

Gear rarely makes anyone better.

As much as I love my Guru kits, they are just drums. That share every important thing with every other drum out there. After you've had a dream kit, there's really no place to go gear-wise. You realize that truly, this is about as good as it gets, so this journey is over. OVER! That's a good thing because it kind of forces you to do what you're supposed to be doing, playing them.
That's what happened with my son when I got him a Les Paul Standard. (At least for a while anyway) He was fully confident in his guitar, so he started really focusing on his playing instead of what his guitar was or wasn't.

I already have most of it, my Pork Pies are my favorite of my many kits. However, if I had all the $$ in the world...Ray Ayotte era Ayotte Custom:
8"
10"
12"
15"FT
18"FT
20" Kick
28" Remote kick
Keplinger Snare
I actually got this kit, although in slightly different sizes. 10, 12, 14, 16, 22...'97 Ray-era Ayottes, repainted by Bill at Pork Pie!

Give me Ringo's kit (THE CYMBALS! I want his cymbals!!!99ae6ba5573d68497d441d76903b78e5_fulq.jpg) especially his high hats and they'll bury me with a smile on my face. I'm smiling just thinking about them.

Cool question....

1. I would have invested 60% of the money so that I could live without worrying about where money was coming from

2.. I would buy Neil Peart's Moving Pictures drum kit from whoever owns it...

3. then I would have Ayotte make me a kit:

Classic Series - Maple with the Maple wood hoops with a black sparkle inlay; satin finish over the natural maple shells; offset lugs
2 20x16" bass drums
1 12x8 tom
1 13x9 tom
1 14x10 tom
1 16x18 floor tom
1 6x14 8 ply maple snare
1 5x14 14 ply snare

would add to my current cymbal collection as I saw fit...mostly Zildjians, but would have to have a 22 Paiste Rude ride in honor of Nicko and a Meinl stack or 2

would get the Pearl Icon 3 drum rack to mount every thing on

4. would build a house/cabin on Lake Huron or Superior, and build a studio in the basement to house and use all of these items;

That's what happened with my son when I got him a Les Paul Standard. (At least for a while anyway) He was fully confident in his guitar, so he started really focusing on his playing instead of what his guitar was or wasn't.

Getting what I always wanted gear-wise...which took much time to shape...allowed me to overcome my gear obsession. Post Guru, anytime I would get a twinge of interest in a shell pack, my logical mind would say, really? After that happened a bunch of times, my brain just let that whole subject go and twinges aren't happening anymore.
It's interesting to observe others trek through the well worn path, post exit. If it wasn't for Andy and his no compromise approach...not to mention all the great R&D and engineering.......plus he's Andy...yea I wouldn't be done.

That gear obsession energy can be turned into great practice energy.

Drums:
20x14 Le Soprano virgin padouk kick. PS3 batter, Fiberskyn holeless reso.
14x4 Keplinger cast steel snare. Genera HD batter and Hazy 300 reso.

Cymbals:
15" K light hats
21" Spizzichino medium ride

Hardware:
DW 5000 hat stand
Yamaha CS3 ride stand
Yamaha SS950 snare stand
DW 9000 single pedal
Roc'n'soc nitro throne

A nice Turkish style carpet underneath everything.
At least 2 new pairs of Vic Firth 8D sticks.

A new Rogers kit in Roger Taylor sizes please! (I know it probably won't happen in a few years...)
An 18" A Zildjian concert suspended cymbal, as I've got the others pretty much covered.
A Ludwig L203 Speed King, Tama Classic or DW Ultralight stands.
?

No matter what I got, I'd probably want something different in a couple of years...not because I'm a gear-head, but I feel like my needs constantly change due to the different bands and groups I play with. I buy what I need for the gig which isn't always exactly what I really, really want. I just buy the best tools I can afford for the job.

I have my dream drumset melodic concert tom octaplus config.

However if I could honestly have another dream kit it would be the Ayotte Velvet? In this exact burst finish (ala Our Lady Peace drummer Jeremy Taggert’s kit from the Superman’s Dead vid.)
Looks like this except he has 1 up 2 down config - I would go with that as well.
.BB4A8392-3B36-47BA-8A07-81A22D886520.jpeg

Just purchased mine. "Ray Era" Ayottes in Copper Sparkle Lacquer. 10, 12, 14, 16, 20. Never left his house.

Disclaimer: Previous owners pictures. Full pics after I finish my setup.

00707_b0mHqAlsLAS_600x450.jpg
received_271767477180633.png

Back